MacBook + iPhone + Wi-fi = :D

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Just got a Wifi router for my Time Warner road runner service. Now I finally am able to utilize the iPhones built in Wi-fi in the comfort of my home. Also I can bring my Macbook anywhere on the property and still pick up super fast data! I can't believe I was sleeping on this. Also with the iPhone you can receive calls while transferring data, something not possible using the cellular network. To anyone who owns an iPhone and is not taking advantage of the built in Wi-fi at home, I suggest you invest in a wifi router. It is well worth the $$ and it had absolutely no setup.

One question for experienced wifi users out there...Since the included software that came w/ the router is not mac compatible I was not able to setup a password/security. How will leaving my network open affect me? I know it will allow my neighbors to use the wifi but does it make my computer vunerable to viruses or other detremental side-effects? Thanks for helping out a wi-fi noob!

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Just got a Wifi router for my Time Warner road runner service. Now I finally am able to utilize the iPhones built in Wi-fi in the comfort of my home. Also I can bring my Macbook anywhere on the property and still pick up super fast data! I can't believe I was sleeping on this. Also with the iPhone you can receive calls while transferring data, something not possible using the cellular network. To anyone who owns an iPhone and is not taking advantage of the built in Wi-fi at home, I suggest you invest in a wifi router. It is well worth the $$ and it had absolutely no setup.

One question for experienced iPhone users out there...Since the included software that came w/ the router is not mac compatible I was not able to setup a password/security. How will leaving my network open affect me? I know it will allow my neighbors to use the wifi but does it make my computer vunerable to viruses or other detremental side-effects? Thanks for helping out a wi-fi noob!
Your router will most probably have a web interface.

Use your most brilliant iPhone to surf to the address of your router, http: // 10.0.0.1 (remove spaces) for example (potentially)

The rest (including the address, maybe a special port, and a username/password) will be explained in the nasty old-fashioned paper booklet that came with the router. Or on a PDF possibly on the CD but it will work with a MAC.

You SHOULD get security on ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Whats the worst that could happen if I don't?
On one extreme you could have no problems and a nice warm glowy feeling from providing a free service to your neighbours.

On the other extreme all your neighbours will have access to which websites you visit, every bit of info on your pc, and all your credit card details if you shop online.

Someone could drive by - use your connection to plot some terrorism and then the FBI will come around and shoot you by mistake.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
On one extreme you could have no problems and a nice warm glowy feeling from providing a free service to your neighbours.

On the other extreme all your neighbours will have access to which websites you visit, every bit of info on your pc, and all your credit card details if you shop online.

Someone could drive by - use your connection to plot some terrorism and then the FBI will come around and shoot you by mistake.
Uh oh! Looks like I better start reading the linksys website. How difficult do you think it will be to set up security/pswd for a computer dummy like me? Is that all I need to do is set up a pswd to be secure? Thanks!

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
in the manual!

Linksys always used to be http :// 192.168.1.1/
Thanks for the help meiPhones_brill! I was looking through the incleded product brochures and stumbled across a 1(800) number with 24 tech support. Really nice chineese guy answered and had me secured pswd and all in no time. Love using wifi on my iPhone, its like 3G!:)

Last edited by a moderator: