MacBook not keeping charge

matt33263

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
Texas
My MacBook is not keeping a good charge it seams like. I usually just have it plugged in but now im starting to take it around and it only last like 1.5-2 hours? I know it should be more then that. I have bluetooth turned off my screen dimmed the only new thing that I have is Mobile Me syncing to my MacBook now? Can anyone help me figure this out?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
When you click on the battery symbol in the status bar, is it set for "Better Energy Savings"?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
1.5-2 hours can be very good life depending on the age of the battery and what activities you're doing with it.

matt33263

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
Texas
1.5-2 hours can be very good life depending on the age of the battery and what activities you're doing with it.
Im just using it to surf the web, I used to get about 3-4 hours when I first got it 1 year ago and the battery is set to better energy savings.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Im just using it to surf the web, I used to get about 3-4 hours when I first got it 1 year ago and the battery is set to better energy savings.
It's normal for a rechargeable battery to hold less of a charge over time, and you'll ultimately need to buy a new battery in another year or 2 if you want to continue to use it without having to plug it in all the time.

If you have extreme battery behavior (inconsistent charges, battery dying without warning regularly), it could be a battery problem that requires a warranty replacement. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you, though, and if you've had it for a year already, your warranty has already expired unless you purchased the extended warranty...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Check the optimization settings in Energy Saver (pane in System Preferences). See what it's set to - if you have a Custom setting, your problem may be there.

matt33263

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
Texas
My battery settings are set to "better energy savings", I've had it over a year and did not get the extended warranty. I was kinda wanting a new laptop so this just might be a good "excuse" to go and get a new MacBook when they come out.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me on this subject.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Try recalibrating your battery.

Something like full charge, full discharge, and so on. To do it correctly go to Apple's website and look it up. There is something more than just a full cycle charge to correctly calibrate it.

For reference, with the same settings as you have, I will get about 5.75 hours on a full charge. My MacBook was purchased in August, 2007.