MacBook OR MacBook Pro for college

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Hey guys, i normally hang around the iPhone 3g forums since i have a white 16gig that i think roxors my sockxors but anyway.... Im off to college soon (Late Jan 09) and i kinda need help in choosing either a macbook or a macbook pro.

Ive been on the Apple site and ive compaired them both as far as price wise, and obviously the macbook beats the pro in price. I chose the macbook 2.4ghz with upgraded 4gig ram and aperature2, adobe CS3, student discount topping out at 2,012.95. Rebate sent with the printer making it free.

With the macbook pro i chose the 2.4ghz with upgraded 4gig ram 320HD(7200rpm) and aperature 2 topping out at a whopping 2,547.95. Rebate sent with the printer making it free.

My dilemma is which one would be better for a college student majoring in Fashion design/marketing who will be using Photoshop, and is the casual/moderate gamer? (World of warcraft/ starcraft) Is paying $535 dollars more really worth the extra Hardrive space and screen size?
1) Would i even need the pro since the macbook is kinda the same just smaller screen minus the 320HD?
2) Also if i'm using photoshop do i even need aperature? Help me out here!:oops:

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
The macbook pro also has an extra graphics GPU and Dedicated memory for that. It's gonna be a bunch faster in the 3d department. However for what you described, I personally would go with the Macbook.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The thing I would think about is the fact that the Pro has a better graphics card which may not matter for the first two years of your chosen field, but may in years 3 and 4. The Mac would certainly be easier to carry around but I would give some thought to the long term needs.
As far as aperature, don't see why you would need it if you have photoshop.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I say go for MacBook, unless you need hard-core graphics processing, must have a 15" screen, or need FireWire 800.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok, so i did a few adjustments and i took a few things into consideration. Being as this is the most my family has ever spent on a computer, and the fact that it needs to carry me through all 4 years of college (and then some) im getting the Pro. Spoke with an Apple chat to clear up a few details.

The Macbook Pro 2.4ghz
4gigs RAM
320HD(7200rpm)
iWork
is $2,539.00 with Adobe Creative Suite Premium and rebated Printer.

With Taxes.... it'll be $2,692.95.

At this point.... do i really need Applecare? Is it worth it... this will be the next computer ill have for about 4-5 years and i take good care of my stuff...my iPhone 3g is just fine. BTW anyone know a good place to buy just one UK plug adaptor for the interchangeable magsafe? I don't need to spend 40bucks to buy the adaptors for the entire world.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
At this point.... do i really need Applecare? Is it worth it...
IMO absolutely not. As I have stated many time, these extended warranties are just money maker,though there will be many here that disagree with me on this.
A very small percentage of what you pay for an extended warranty actually goes for the "insurance". The biggest part is for commissions and profit. If you do decide to get it, wait until your year is almost up and then waste,I mean spent the money.