MacBook Pro beach ball?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IllusionEntity, Nov 6, 2012.

1. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I keep constantly getting the Loading beachball.

I have only got iTunes and Safari running and still I get the beachball. I do not think it is hardware related as I have a 2.3GHz Quad-Core intel i7 and 16GB of RAM.

HELP!

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Funny you should mention that. I've reinstalled Mountain Lion 4 times (4th time as we speak). A fresh format and reinstall and I keep getting haunted by that damn pinwheel/beachball. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro Core i7 with 8GB of ram. I'm beginning to wonder if its hardware related. My Mac was running like crap as of late so I decided to upgrade from Lion only to find out its still running like crap. Really bizarre.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. IllusionEntity

Gold

My MBP was fine on Lion. It is ever since Mountain that it has started happening.

5. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Mine was fine on Lion until a few weeks ago. Starting beachballing like crazy. I'm ready to try Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mountain Lion. It was even talking forever to reboot after a fresh install. I never thought I'd say my Windows machine is running better than my Mac but it is.

6. IllusionEntity

Gold

Ugh its just with everything I do. iTunes = Beachball. Then when I plug my iPhone in and iPhoto loads. OMG SO SLOW. I upgraded to 16GB of RAM to avoid this.

7. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

That's exactly what was happening to me that made me upgrade. Going nuts.

Wow. 16GB. I guess it's not because of ram shortage. :)

8. IllusionEntity

Gold

No I just went overboard because the beachball thing was driving me nuts! I guess I didn't fix it.... 512GB SSD next.

9. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Lol. I was thinking about an SSD also. My Timachine transfer is almost complete. Lets see what happens.

10. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Well I don't know what I did but my Mac is running much better. For now. I reinstalled Mountain Lion and restored some stuff from my Time Capsule. All is well.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Windows really stinks. :D

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you know if it's related to network transfer, or have you narrowed it down to hard drive activity? Maybe you could boot up the Activity Monitor and identify which process is overusing your CPU?

When things get fishy, which I'm very lucky they rarely do, I'll go through my running processes one by one and make sure they are all accounted for. If there's a process you don't recognize, Google its name. If it's legit, chances are it's readily documented out there...

Sorry, just read your second post. If most of your beachballing is happening after iPhoto boots up, consider disabling automatic start-up of iPhoto when plugging in your iPhone, and letting photo sync happen via Wi-Fi? I mean, this shouldn't be necessary, in theory, but if the alternative is beachballing into oblivion, you might be better off letting your media sync unobtrusively via Wi-Fi, in the background...

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Understatement of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

• Like Like x 1
  14. IllusionEntity

Gold

Great idea. How do I turn off auto startup of iPhoto? I tried to find something of this nature. But couldn't find anything.

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Since installing ML on my MBP it's literally brought it down to it's knees. The OS is great but I'm sick of seeing the damn beachball. My MBP was quick, it would awake from sleep and be fully functional in under 5 seconds... now I have to wait like 15-20 before I can even move the mouse after waking it up.

16. IllusionEntity

Gold

I feel your pain. I have to wait quite a while for my mac to respond. It was lightning fast before ML.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's easy... Go to iPhoto > Preferences, and set the "Connecting camera opens:" setting to "No application".

Untitled 2.jpg

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What's needed is a utility to display an animated .GIF of a cat dancing while the Mac is busy, instead of a beach ball. That way we can be entertained while we wait. Maybe we can write such a utility and sell it for a small amount of money/lolly.

Animated-Dancing-Cats.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll be sure to use the /s tag next time.

20. IllusionEntity

Gold

Or we could just not wait? ;)

21. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

How would you accomplish not waiting? I know that Apple's beautifully designed (and much speedier) Fusion Drive technology works on older Macs, although I haven't been able to verify whether it'll work on an MPB other than the newest ones.**

We learn from a FAQ on this article that

"Can external USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt hard drives be added to Fusion Drive?

An external drive cannot be used as part of a Fusion Drive volume. Fusion Drive is designed to work with an internal hard disk drive and internal flash storage."

If you getting one of their newer machines with that Fusion Drive (the MBP features this drive) is within your means, then by all means, go for it!

**The question is, can you cram both an internal hard drive and internal flash drive into an MBP? I can't answer this because I'm really not big on DIY improvements to the innards of Macs.