MacBook Pro Glossy or Matte?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've seen this discussion on countless forums and have still yet to decide. I checked out the MacBook glossies at the Apple Store, but didn't see the MBP. Plan on taking another trip before I make the leap. Sounds like it's a personal preference more than anything. Either way, I'd love to hear any personal experiences with either.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, I don't have personal experience with either, but I would get the gloss. It looks really sleek and professional but it will probably be hard to keep the luster and shine looking brand new (ie, without scratches). Plus, you don't really see that many with gloss black (at least I don't) so it will be unique.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
You're right Chris. It is mostly a matter of personal preference, but with a little practicality sprinkled in.

I went with the gloss screen simply because I like the way it looks. Crisp, bright, slick...it's got it all. I have never looked back and am surprised by the display almost every time I look at it.

Of course, one consideration is reflections. If you, for example, work with a large window behind you, glossy might not be the best idea. With that said, I have been in plenty of bright situations with reflections on my screen but they never bothered me...probably because this LED backlit 15" panel is so bright. I have heard, however, that professional (or semi-pro) photographers prefer the matte finish.

I guess it all boils down to go spend as much time with each as you feel is necessary, pick one, and enjoy whichever you choose :)

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
So Chris, did you go spend some more time checking them out? Have you made a choice yet? :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I had my wife check them out, since she was at our local mall. I do my best to avoid the mall between Black Friday and Christmas. I'll make one trek and do all of my shopping. She said they did not have any MBP Glossy on display. I was there a few weeks ago and checked out what must have been the matte finish. I see the tradeoff as reflections vs brilliant colors/screen. I use it mostly at home and for traveling. I'm leaning towards the glossy. Does anyone know the return policy at the Apple Store?

I'm monitoring the rumors and will probably take the leap around the holidays. To me, from me.:p

-Chris

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Chris,

Normally, their return policy is 14 calendar days. But, during the holiday season, if you purchase anything between October 31 and December 24, you have until January 8 to return it. There are no returns on custom configured machines of course.

And, don't forget MacWorld Expo January 15-18. Unless you're in a big hurry, you may want to hold off on your purchase just in case Mr. Jobs has some big announcement in store for us. I guess you could purchase a machine on January 4th or 5th and return it in time if there's a big announcement at MacWorld ;)

May 6, 2007
United States
Definitely a matter of preference, as is mentioned above. The glossy tends to be more for those who will be playing games, watching movies, or making movies. The matte works out well for developers, programmars, or editing photos. For the photos it helps to have a matte screen to see the shots in true essense.

Also, if one is working in a dim environment, the glossy works out fine. The glossy screens tend to create glare and are thereforee not efficient in light-filled environments.

I have had much experience with both screen kinds, and they are both great. After asking around and trying both configurations out, I am leaning towards the glossy screen type.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Reviving an old thread.... I spent the last few weeks with the glossy MacBook Air. Stunning display, but I found it hard on the eyes if you work for an extended period of time. The lack of raw computing power has me sending it back and I'm getting a MacBook Pro. I think both look displays look great, but decided to go with the matte. My desktop is matte and I love it. In essense, I'm trying to duplicate my home rig with my mobile setup.

I think I've read 500 or so opinions on Matte vs Glossy. It really depends on preference. I also think at the end of the day, either would be fine.

I'm excited to get it all set up and rockin'. Time to pack up the Air.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think that's a good way to go on a mobile device. you never know when you'll be in a situation with terrible glare. When i'm home, i use a Glossy 22" LG monitor... best of both worlds.

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
I just bought a glossy MacBook Pro today and the screen is amazing. The glare isn't bad at all unless you're looking for it. Colors pop and everything looks very crisp. I'd go with glossy if I were you, obviously since I did, but either way you'll be more than happy. It's a great machine.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I spent the longest time in the Apple store when I got my MBP. And most of the time was spent on the glossy/matte issues and in the end I went with.Matte. Finger prints and oils don't show as bad And there is virutualy no glare... Buuuut on the other hand glossy does bring out truer blacks and just looks a bit more sexy

May 6, 2007
United States
I went with the glossy version back in March, and I am completely happy with my decision, but as you guys mentioned above, it is really a matter of preference and it is very likely that one would be happy either way.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
I just bought a glossy MacBook Pro today and the screen is amazing. The glare isn't bad at all unless you're looking for it. Colors pop and everything looks very crisp. I'd go with glossy if I were you, obviously since I did, but either way you'll be more than happy. It's a great machine.
I would have to agree. I love it.

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
so back to the question (even though i got matte too, and i love it)
there are screen protectors available, but on a matte, i'll proabbly ruin the screen at removal (not sure, but probably) and itll make a matte screen glossy... on a glossy it should look about the same