MacBook Pro just stolen

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
My brother's truck was broken into and both of our laptops are missing. What should I do? I have AppleCare, but my brother does not. I've only had the laptop not even a month before this happened. Can I delete the data? I could use any help...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry to hear that. AppleCare won't cover theft. Here's what you can do:

1. Use your iPhone or another computer to attempt to track it with Find My MacBook.
2. Report it as stolen to the police and Apple. Give them the serial number.
3. Remote wipe it through iCloud.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Does your brother have homeowner's insurance? You may be able to get coverage, despite it having been stolen from the car.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I have reported it to the police and filled out a claim. Unfortunately, my brother does not have homeowner's insurance and the insurance is only going to cover the broken window.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have reported it to the police and filled out a claim. Unfortunately, my brother does not have homeowner's insurance and the insurance is only going to cover the broken window.
Did you try to track it or do a remote wipe?

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Are both you and your brother ok? I'm happy you weren't hurt during the robbery. What's that, you weren't in the truck when the laptops were stolen? Ahh, I understand now, you left them in the truck all alone and vulnerable.. :eek:

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that, I know it sucks to lose a device or have it stolen. But I wouldn't ever leave anything of value in my vehicle these days. Good luck in getting them back or replaced.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hopefully you and your brother have learned from this. Never leave anything of value in a vehicle. If it's necessary, then make sure it can not be seen. Remember, "Out of sight, out of mind!". Most thieves won't break into a vehicle if they don't see anything to steal.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I just left the Apple Store with a brand new MacBook Pro. This is a lesson learned, don't leave anything valuable in my brother's truck. It's a good feeling to have it back.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just left the Apple Store with a brand new MacBook Pro. This is a lesson learned, don't leave anything valuable in my brother's truck. It's a good feeling to have it back.
What happened when you tried to track the stolen MacBook? Were you able to remotely erase it?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I was not able to track it because I didn't turn on Find My Mac. There was no other way to remotely erase the data, but I changed my Apple ID and password.
If you're going to carry around more than one iDevice, you might want to download the Find My iPhone app as well as turning it on in settings.

L

Lani Lei

This is unfortunate. I really wonder why Apple won't turn ON Find My Mac by default. I mean, what is the point of providing a tracker app without loading it by default. Most Mac buyers aren't aware of this feature.