MacBook Pro RAM

jhawk

Jul 15, 2007
I am looking to max out the RAM on my Macbook Pro. Anybody have some suggestions on where to buy? I just converted from PC to Mac! Thanks guys...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
depends which model you have...

what is the processor and screen size?

this is a great site to check what your computer can handle for memory... just plug in the manufacturer, line, and model, and it'll tell you everything.

http://www.crucial.com/

jhawk

Jul 15, 2007
I have the 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I currently have 2 GB of RAM at the moment. I am pretty sure I can max out at 4 GB? I just wasn't sure if I had to buy specific RAM, say from Apple or something like that. I looked on Apple's website and it just seemed really expensive if I bought from them, that's why I was wondering.

I appreciate your help, I checked that website and it looks like I can max out for about $100, I thought I was going to have to pay $1000 on Apple's website!

Why would anyone buy from Apple? Will it void the warranty if I don't use Apple's memory? I'm just wondering, not too concerned about the warranty, I have an iPHONE too and I modded the heck out of it. Thanks again, I am new to Apple and not really sure about these types of things yet.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no reason to buy from Apple. as long as you get DDR2 PC-5300 (nothing else probably exists in 2GB sticks), you'll be fine. you'll be zipping along with 4GB of RAM.

the hardest part of installing RAM is finding out where it is located in the computer. I'd tell you, but i don't work on Macs...

and worst case scenario with replacing RAM is you get a bad stick... which will just prevent your MAc from Booting properly. Just put the old RAM back in, and get the new stuff replaced.

jhawk

Jul 15, 2007
cool, thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I am looking to max out the RAM on my Macbook Pro. Anybody have some suggestions on where to buy? I just converted from PC to Mac! Thanks guys...
First off, welcome to the Mac world ;) As with any computer parts (Mac or PC) i would suggest Tigerdirect.com...they always have some pretty good prices.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
get Geil from new egg, it wont bugg your system when installing a new OS like other 3rd party ram does. and its cheap as hell. got 2 2gb sticks for 178 ish with rebates when i bought my comp last summer.