MacBook question

bronxaccents

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
New York City
i know this has nothing to do with iPhone discussion, but im gonan purches a new macbook and was wondering which one i should get. the 1,099 2.1ghz or the 1,299 2.4ghz? is their a huge difference between them? i know the 2.4ghz might be alittle faster but is it drastically faster?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I bought the middle of the line macbook back in January. I love it, plenty fast for my needs.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not trying to flame you, but we do have a forum dedicated to Macbook stuff. Tons of good info there.

Anyway, the 1299 macbook comes standard with a 160 GB HD as opposed to a 120.

I'd personally go with the Blacbook, though.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
i know this has nothing to do with iPhone discussion, but im gonan purches a new macbook and was wondering which one i should get. the 1,099 2.1ghz or the 1,299 2.4ghz? is their a huge difference between them? i know the 2.4ghz might be alittle faster but is it drastically faster?
Guy at the Apple store told me the 2.4ghz one is much faster since it also has more RAM. I just got the 2.4ghz whitebook and love it!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Guy at the Apple store told me the 2.4ghz one is much faster since it also has more RAM. I just got the 2.4ghz whitebook and love it!
that is another good point. You can, however, upgrade the ram afterwards for very reasonable prices... if you are so inclined.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Since this thread was already here, I figured I would ask my MacBook Question as well.

I just bought my first MacBook yesterday, and was researching whether or not to get an anti-virus for it.

Do any of you guys have an anti-virus for your Macs? And which one would you recommend?

I plan on downloading a lot of music and movies via torrents, and I've known in the past, that having a anti-virus on my PC saved me more than a few times.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time =)

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
yes but I was worried if using LimeWire or something...

I mean obviously I know which files to look out for when downloading (.exe, etc.) but I thought maybe I should still have something just in case.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
yes but I was worried if using LimeWire or something...

I mean obviously I know which files to look out for when downloading (.exe, etc.) but I thought maybe I should still have something just in case.
When I first switched, I worried about the same thing. That's been almost four years ago, and knock on wood, no problems. You might want to ask around, and get some more thoughts.

Good luck

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have not had a mac in some time but I heard over the years that, although not unheard of, there are very very few viruses written that can impact a mac. Is that still true or are viruses starting to show up in the Apple world now?

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I have not had a mac in some time but I heard over the years that, although not unheard of, there are very very few viruses written that can impact a mac. Is that still true or are viruses starting to show up in the Apple world now?
About a year ago there was a scare about a possible virus, but it made no significant inroads. Because Apple has such a small share of the market, it's probably not worth the effort for the virus writers to go after the Mac.

My thoughts. :cool:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Of the people I work with, most are Mac users and none of them have anti-virus software. Not one of them has ever gotten a virus.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I have a question along this line. Im gonna get a macbook in the near future but i will have to run windows on it some, (wifes work) will i need to run a AV on it when im in windows?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
About a year ago there was a scare about a possible virus, but it made no significant inroads. Because Apple has such a small share of the market, it's probably not worth the effort for the virus writers to go after the Mac.

My thoughts. :cool:
While I tend to agree with this, Apple is rapidly becoming the "pc" of choice for many. I'd be surprised to find anti-virus software other than at the Apple store. I really don't think you'll need it, and I hit bittorents, limewire, etc. I've had my iMac for over a year, and no problem. On my MBP, then MB, then MBA, and back to MBP (lol) I've not had any problems at all.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have a question along this line. Im gonna get a macbook in the near future but i will have to run windows on it some, (wifes work) will i need to run a AV on it when im in windows?
if you plan on connecting to the internet (or using any files downloaded from the internet) while using windows, then yes.