MacBook repair x2

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
So last week i brought my 11 month old MBP in because my screen kept going black and i would have to log back in ! Showed them a video of the problem, they thought it was the logic board or the graphics card . Left it with them for repair-5-7 days. They called me yesterday asked me about the problem, explained it again, they said they would just replace the logic board.Removed password for techs. Estimate $500- covered under warranty.
I got a call this morning- come pick up your MBP. Take a cab down to 59 St, get my laptop, turn it on - screen works and i think all is well. I get home and it's asking me for my password. I keyed in my old password but it's not working. Tried calling and some dolt turfed me to Applecare ! Applecare tells me i have to BUY Applecare in order for them to help me. I told them i just left the store and i have 90 days on this repair. Also notice that i can't connect to my WIFI- MBP says i don't have the hardware installed !
Cab back to 59 st. grabbed the initial Genius who helped me and explain what's going on. Very helpful- gets me someone else who thinks that maybe things on the logic board got pinched when they put it back together- have to leave it again! They promise me that they have all parts needed and i will have my MBP back by the time they close - they are closing the normally always open store at 10 pm - I surmise that they are finally unveiling the new glass cube lol. I press for a better timeframe cause i don't feel like going home just to come back again- they said 2-4 hours. OK, Drinks at the Oakbar - closed. Drinks at Mickey Mantles instead- walk through Central park :)
Autumn CP.JPG

Get the call-it's fixed. they wound up replacing the logic board again just in case, display clamshell and the airport extreme card - total $900. Went through all the new keychain problems and everything is back to normal i hope.
Took myself and a friend for filet's at Smith and Wollensky's cause i needed a treat.
I will says as much as today was a PIA at least Apple always makes things right.
I this was on any other laptop, i'm sure i would have just tossed it. No one has better service than Apple.
Must remember to buy Applecare before Jan 23 lol

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Cool story. Glad to hear they got I fixed for you. I agree that if it were an Acer, HP, or Gateway it would've found its way to the rubbish. I would have to go through the same hassle to get mine fixed if I was in your situation.

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Apple makes things right. They apologized to me so many times today for my trouble. If this had been another brand- ugh!

Oct 3, 2009
Apple makes things right. They apologized to me so many times today for my trouble. If this had been another brand- ugh!
If it would have been another brand you would have been here complaining that they didn't fix it right the first time and they didn't even test it to make sure it was fixed before you came to pick it up. But since it's Apple and they said sorry, that makes a shotty repair somehow ok?

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
If it would have been another brand you would have been here complaining that they didn't fix it right the first time and they didn't even test it to make sure it was fixed before you came to pick it up. But since it's Apple and they said sorry, that makes a shotty repair somehow ok?
No, it does not make shoddy repair ok. When i first went to pick it up the wifi icon was was clearly visible so i didn't know that was a problem until i got home. The keychain issue I'll blame myself for since i didn't stick around after they brought my computer out for me. I turned it on and saw my login screen and figured all was OK. I left the store, i was in a rush. I didn't know that a new logic board meant that i'd have keychain problems.
My point is that they screwed up, admitted it , and rather than take the chance, replaced everything again and then some, just to be on the safe side. They made sure all keychain problems were resolved before i left the store.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Back in 2008, I bought my first MacBook Pro from the US, where the warranty doesn't work in Egypt. Of course, that caused huge problems later on as many parts of my notebook, starting with the optical drive, kept failing. Apple in Egypt told me they could get the products shipped from Apple US (under warranty) but I'd still have to pay for shipping, taxes, and customs (way too expensive), and the total cost ended up being about $500 USD, so that's definitely not worth it.

I ended up sending it last month with a friend going to New York in order to get it fixed in BestBuy. My 1-year warranty is over, but when I called Apple US, they told me that there's a 4-year extended warranty for factory problems, which is what mine is. I sure hope they fix it so I can either give it to my sister or just sell it and buy the new iPhone. In case you're wondering, Apple computers here, even when sold used, are very expensive. My 2010 MacBook Pro cost me $2550 and it was the basic (15" i5 2.4GHz" one with no SSD. But I decided to buy it from Egypt so the warranty would work here, as I said, learned from my mistake.

Good luck, dude. Apple computers tend to fail like that.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Tarek, i'm curious why you had your friend take it to Best Buy instead of Apple for repair? I don't think Apple computers fail more than others. I switched to Apple after i got my first iPhone and this is the first problem i've had with a computer. This is my second Macbook.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Well, I purchased it from BestBuy in New York so she took it there (along with the bills and everything) so they would either try to fix it or just direct her to Apple. I've never dealt with such a thing in the US before, so I wouldn't really know. I just checked with my cousin because she's his girl friend, and he told me that she got it fixed! I'm so excited. I just hope she didn't have to pay anything. That was my first MacBook and it worked like a charm for over a year. It's like as soon as the warranty expired, problems started taking place. Does Apple adjust that or something? lol

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Tarek, I was told by Aple that my MacBook Pro was almost 2 years old so it was out of warranty and I was SOL. So I had to order the parts online and fix it myself.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/anyone-ever-replaced-the-magsafe-connection.80902/
I wouldn't dare and try fix my notebook myself. I tried fixing my old BlackBerry Curve and just screwed it up. I'm sorry you were out of warranty, but if it was a factory problem they would have replace it for you for free under the extended one. What failed in my older Mac is the graphics card, and according to an article on Apple.com, most Nividia GeForce 8600M GT cads had problems, thereforee fixing it for free was a must.

Oct 3, 2009
I wouldn't dare and try fix my notebook myself. I tried fixing my old BlackBerry Curve and just screwed it up. I'm sorry you were out of warranty, but if it was a factory problem they would have replace it for you for free under the extended one. What failed in my older Mac is the graphics card, and according to an article on Apple.com, most Nividia GeForce 8600M GT cads had problems, thereforee fixing it for free was a must.
Like I said, they told me I was out of luck. They wouldn't fix it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have a colleague who owns an early 2008 MacBook Pro. It stopped booting about a year ago. The warranty had expired at least a year prior to this. The closest Apple Store is an hour and a half away so he took it to a nearby Simply Mac store. They said it was the logic board and would cost $900 to repair. He couldn't justify spending that amount of money so he went without a MacBook for several months. I Googled it one day to see if I could find the part for cheaper than $900 and ended up discovering that that year's MBP NVIDA chips would sometimes cause the logic board to fail and that Apple would replace it for free. He made a Genius Bar appointment, they sent it to Apple and Apple shipped it back to him a few days later. He didn't have to pay a dime and works just fine now.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have a colleague who owns an early 2008 MacBook Pro. It stopped booting about a year ago. The warranty had expired at least a year prior to this. The closest Apple Store is an hour and a half away so he took it to a nearby Simply Mac store. They said it was the logic board and would cost $900 to repair. He couldn't justify spending that amount of money so he went without a MacBook for several months. I Googled it one day to see if I could find the part for cheaper than $900 and ended up discovering that that year's MBP NVIDA chips would sometimes cause the logic board to fail and that Apple would replace it for free. He made a Genius Bar appointment, they sent it to Apple and Apple shipped it back to him a few days later. He didn't have to pay a dime and works just fine now.
Yes, my problem exactly. I'm glad you found that article, it is the one I provided the Apple Representative with over the phone. She had no idea about the problem before our phone call, but then I gave her the article number and she said they'd replace it for free after doing their hardware test and confirming the problem. My logic board was replaced for free as well.