macOS Sierra bugs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here’s a whopper of a bug—or, more accurately, a glaring omission. I guess it can’t be called an actual bug if it wasn’t even implemented.

Those new “special effects” in iMessages on iOS (such as Loud Effect or Balloons) were not implemented on Messages for macOS Sierra.

All we see when an iMessage from an iOS 10 device is received by the Messages application on a Mac runing macOS Sierra is—get ready for this—(sent with Loud Effect), (sent with Balloons), etc. Screenshot immediately below. Unbelievable!

iMessage special effects not implemented in macOS Sierra.png
    [Incidentally, the reason “(sent with Loud Effect) appears twice is because I’m sending those iMessages from my iPhone to myself, in case you’re wondering; that is not a bug.]

The new “macOS Sierra” moniker may bring the name more in line with “iOS”, “watchOS”, and “tvOS”, but it appears feature parity is off to a poor start.

#1 Rafagon, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here is another glaring omission in macOS Sierra.

On iOS 10, when the Mail app decides that an incoming e-mail is from a mailist list, it offers the user the option to unsubscribe from the mailing list in question:

mailing list.jpg

On the Mail application in macOS Sierra, there is no such option:

unsubguessnot.jpg

Again, feauture parity on macOS Sierra vs. iOS 10 is an absolute disappointment. Another enormous FAIL for Apple.

#2 Rafagon, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You use the stock mail app on your Mac? Eeeewwwwwww. :D

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I do as well. I say it's for simplicity's sake, but that might not hold water. I've tried a couple others and went back to the stock app. Between this and the iOS 10 bug thread I'm glad I haven't updated my devices yet. ;)

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It does its job perfectly fine! What about it makes you go “Eeeewwwwwww?”

I think it’s light years ahead of “simple.” To name just one fairly advanced feature, the Rules pane in Preferences allows you to perform a plethora of actions when receiving an e-mail meeting the criteria you specify, up to and including running an AppleScript of your choice.

One shortcoming: You can only add one color flag to a given e-mail. For example, you cannot flag an e-mail as both Red and Green. But in Finder, you can tag files with more than one color tag! If they can do it in Finder, why couldn’t they do it in Mail?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wow, I just ran into a perplexing macOS Sierra bug.

The screenshot and annotations will explain:

Tomlinson missing.png

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Does this repeatedly happen or was it just a glitch?