macOS Sierra released

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple has released macOS Sierra. It brings Siri to the Mac desktop, along with a host of other enhancements. Read Ars Technica’s review here.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I’m not updating today. Extremely stormy weather here today, and I am certain my UPS’s battery would not make it through a macOS upgrade (especially since I still have a spinning boot drive).

Good luck to you if you’re doing it today; if you encounter any major issues, please share.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 2.22.19 PM.png

Ways to prepare now. Addendum.

Do not upgrade your Mac’s OS until this weather passes.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

In my excitement over receiving a shipping notification for my 128 GB Jet Black iPhone 7 PLUS a full month or more ahead of schedule, I completely forgot about this!!

And it's a damn busy day for me too, so I don't know that I'll get it started until sometime after 9 PM tonight!!

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Darn. I was going to upgrade my Mid 2010 MBP and my Late 2014 Mini to El Capitan before Sierra was released. Now El Cap isn't available in the App Store anymore. Oh well, Yosemite is working well so no reason to fix what isn't broken. :)

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just curious, why don't you want to upgrade to macOS Sierra?

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Because, despite it being a public release, Apple tends to ship beta products.

I feel the same way about iOS 10. When you've been burned you tend not to play with fire...as much. There's always some beta surprises and since I'm not upgrading devices this year I figure I'll sit tight. I know iOS has a limited signing window. I never new OS X limited you like that. When I upgraded to Yosemite there were several headaches, so I figured I'd update to the latest stable release before the new beta release. Missed it by that much. :D

On a side note, why does Apple insist on screwing around with iTunes so much? The latest iTunes implants a microphone symbol for many of the album art graphics I've painstakingly added over the years. Upgrades and updates aren't supposed to be headaches and eyesores.

7. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

I have installed macOS Sierra today, and it rock! ... except, I'm wondering why the Photos app need to upload my 16.000+ photos to iCloud - again? I have searched Google, but no answers .. :)

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Why can’t I install it?

My Late 2009 iMac should be able to handle it!

Update: installed.

#8 Rafagon, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I finally had time and remembered to install last night. However, it was about 10:40 PM when I started, and the time to download kept fluctuating wildly. When I went to bed about an hour left, it was showing about 1/3 left to download, and an estimated 50 minutes remaining.

Woke up this morning, and started the actual install before I left to come to work today.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold