MacRumors forum hacked

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
MacRumors, a fellow Apple enthusiasts forum was hacked a few days back. As a result, usernames and passwords are accessible to the hacker, with a bit of work on his end. The individual behind the hack claims it was not done with malicious intent. I'm not sure how taking a popular forum like MR down for a few days isn't malicious. Anyway, the hacker claims they are not doing anything with the user data that was compromised. If you are a member there, you need to login and change your password ASAP. If you have accounts here and there, I'd kindly ask that you change your password here as well. Our site is secure, but not if someone is able to secure your credentials elsewhere. You can easily do this by selecting 'Password' from the drop-down menu under your name.

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 2.21.21 PM.png

This particular site will help in generating a strong password. I'd also recommend using a Password reminder app. iCloud keychain (Mavericks), 1Password or others.

I know Arn (the owner) and you can feel confident knowing he's doing everything in his power to correct the situation and prevent it from happening again. Bad things happen on the Internet, even to good guys.

-Chris