Macs and viruses?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I was just at a place called Mac Experience, Apple certified place for repairs and warranty work ets. I was making small talk with the guy and he said it is a waste of time to have any sort of adaware, malware antivirus on your Mac. I do not have any of those, but what I found interesting is that Apple will reward someone $13,000 if they have a virus for Mac. Is this true?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I haven't heard about the $13,000 thing... but, yeah, it is a waste of time. There are no viruses for OS X. None. Will there be in the future as the Mac gains more market share? Probably. Should you be worrying right now? No.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What do you mean "if they have a virus for Mac"?

Do you mean one on their computer, or was actually able to make one for a Mac?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
What do you mean "if they have a virus for Mac"?

Do you mean one on their computer, or was actually able to make one for a Mac?
Sorry. Reward to the person who creates the first virus for a Mac. The reward does not to the person who gets the virus. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Hmm...I hope that isn't true.
That'll just inspire people to try making viruses for Mac.

But if it were true, why $13,000? Seems kind of like an odd number to pick. How about $10,000 or $15,000?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hmm...I hope that isn't true.
That'll just inspire people to try making viruses for Mac.

But if it were true, why $13,000? Seems kind of like an odd number to pick. How about $10,000 or $15,000?
Lucky 13?:laugh2: Who knows. I don't think this is anything more than a rumor.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
That is exactly what I was thinking about both of your points! Why put a price on creating a virus, which would give them a monetary benefit (and possibly a job at Apple).
It does seem like a random number I agree. I am not saying that this is true, this is what a worker told me at a certified Apple repair store.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That is exactly what I was thinking about both of your points! Why put a price on creating a virus, which would give them a monetary benefit (and possibly a job at Apple).
It does seem like a random number I agree. I am not saying that this is true, this is what a worker told me at a certified Apple repair store.
But was it an actual Apple store? :)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I do not believe there are affiliated with Apple in any except that they are certified to make repairs and do warranty work. Here is their website.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Why is it impossible to get a virus or even code one for a mac?
Because Apple puts so much time into making every single part of their operating system so secure that it doesn't get viruses (yet) that way they have another advantage over windows.

And technically its not impossible, its just very very VERY hard.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
But we keep saying "yet" So its only a matter of time before that hard creation of a virus becomes easy?

I thought it was such an annoying and tedious process to make a virus for a mac no one bothered.

Why is it so hard? isn't code... code? regardless of platform?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Another reason there are no viruses is because the intent behind creating a virus is to hit as many users as possible. There are more windows users than mac users, so it makes more sense to write a windows virus. It'll affect more people and companies.

Why waste your time writing a virus if it's not gonna cause as many people pain? (not my opinion, just the idea behind creating viruses for macs).

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Oh, stop. FlwrPwer is almost right - the malware quotient for OSX is low because of low adoption figures and malware authors want high ROI like everyone else. But to draw a line to a low RISK of vulnerability is a scary one. That's like saying that the US is not vulnerable to terrorism because we haven't had an incident since 9/11 - the abscence of something does not prove that it does not exist.

The fact is that vulnerabilities in OSX have existed, been exploited, and have been patched, and that cycle is likely to continue as it does with other operating systems. Google "OSX vulnerability" and read a while, and you'll realize that if anything, you have security by obscurity.

Here's just one link to read: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Apple/apple-Patches-Critical-OS-X-Flaws/

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Yeah but the whole goal of a virus is to "rape" multiple networks....what about the other viruses such at trojans, keyloggers...these are the things that steal info, get into the system and record your Credit cards, bank logins passwords. Most viruses just corrupt files, others are out to sneak in and steal info.

Also to say that Apple is not as widespread as windows is a horrible statement. Apple is all over colleges/schools/ many design firms etc. We are young im sure if sum1 wrote a virus it would cause a lot of havoc.

People have the same view of Apple like people had of the Titanic. OH it wont sink, or viruses are hard to make for OSX. Titanic...well we all know what happened, but for Apple, just because it's never had a major breach dosent mean it couldnt happen. Many schools are pretty much teaching hacking, when they teach us advanced code and stuff in class.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Also to say that Apple is not as widespread as windows is a horrible statement. Apple is all over colleges/schools/ many design firms etc. We are young im sure if sum1 wrote a virus it would cause a lot of havoc.
It's not a horrible statement. It's a true statement. Just look on this forum. Most users who have the iPhone here are running Windows machines, not macs. And while most design firms/film studios use macs....most regular businessses use windows.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nobody stated that there aren't any trojans and malware for OS X. There's plenty of that. Just a few months ago a poker game was discovered that, when downloaded, asked you to type your admin password because a necessary component wasn't installed. The app then sent that password to the developer of the app.

You can't say that Macs have even near the market share of PC's. It's much smaller. But it's growing constantly. Yes, OS X is a very secure operating system. No, there are not any viruses for it right now. But as market share grows and there are more users to target, people will try harder to create viruses for the Mac. Many will fail. Some may succeed. Only time will tell.