Macworld 2008

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JackBauer

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
New York
Okay, I really want to go to Macworld 2008, but I do have a few questions.

1) Is it open for anybody or just developers?
2)If I buy the Platinum Passs (from last year) will it give me good seating for the Keynote?
3) What else is there to do? Look at differnt 3rd Party Products?
4) When does it usually open to buy the passes?
5) What is the difference between the conference and the expo?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Okay, I really want to go to Macworld 2008, but I do have a few questions.

1) Is it open for anybody or just developers?
2)If I buy the Platinum Passs (from last year) will it give me good seating for the Keynote?
3) What else is there to do? Look at differnt 3rd Party Products?
4) When does it usually open to buy the passes?
5) What is the difference between the conference and the expo?
1. it's open to everyone.
2. keynote seating is open and not designated, except for the press and VIP's (Apple execs, special invitees) - they have the first chunk of rows right up front. the last time i went to the expo as a regular attendee, i got in line at the moscone center for the keynote at 6:30 am and the line was already wrapped around the corner of the building all the way to the back. get there EARLY if you want a decent seat. and it helps to tag team with someone (one person gets some decent seats right away, the other scouts ahead for better seats).
3. the expo hall is filled with booths for 3rd party products and software. Apple has the largest booth in the center - any new products announced are on display there.
4. september or october? i don't think there's a fixed date each year...
5. depending on the pass you buy, you can get into different events. the most expensive passes get you into high-level classes and discussions on enterprise-level mac usage, security, etc. they have other passes for just "regular" users that include fun events (talks by david pogue, mac "game shows", and classes for power users using ilife, etc.). the expo alone is just getting into the main halls to see the booths - no keynote or other events at all. expect to spend $250 - $300 iirc to get the least expensive pass that will get you into the keynote plus other events. the expo alone is like $25 (though lots of organizations give our free expo passes as well).