Made mistake restoring jailbroken iPhone using iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by rugved1118, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

I made a terrible mistake doing a factory restore while on 8.1.2 jailbreak without using itunes... To get my handset running somehow i am now on 8.2 firmware and just hoping a jailbreak gets released soon because I got addicted to its tweaks.

#1 rugved1118, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Was the restore necessary, or was it a mistake?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's not a factory restore. A factory restore reinstalls the firmware. The only way to restore the firmware is in iTunes on a computer. All you can do on the phone itself is remove your data and settings (the firmware is unaffected), but as you learned the hard way, it can't be done while jailbroken.
    He tried to use the "Erase All Content and Settings" feature, which resulted in getting stuck at the boot logo as it always does when attempted on a jailbroken device. He then had to restore in iTunes, which put him on a non-jailbreakable firmware. This was one day before the signing window for the previous firmware closed, which is jailbreakable. I explained how to downgrade and advised that he hurry, but he decided to wait for a new jailbreak.