Made to purchase accessories with new iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by IceCold357, Dec 20, 2011.

1. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

I was finally able to pick up my iPhone 4S today from the local AT&T store but I had to also purchase a "free" case and car charger. The sales rep told me that with my upgrade the total cost would be $250 before taxes instead of the $199 because they included a case and car charger. At this point I didn't really care because I had been searching every store from Savannah to Jacksonville in search of a White 16GB 4S. This local AT&T store was the only store that had it so I went ahead and footed the extra $50. Just curious if anyone else had heard of this or had it happen to them?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Can't sY as I've ever heard of that. Doesn't sound like a very reputable dealer to me at all !

3. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah that's what I was thinking. At the time I was just so caught up in getting my 4S I probably would have said yes to anything. I didn't really think much of it until I got home and my wife asked my why I had a case and car charger also.

4. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Was it a corporate store or some sort of franchise store? I can't see a corporate store doing this. I have however gotten a bundle deal when I made a purchase on the phone with AT&T before but I paid less.

5. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

It was a little franchise store. My nearest corporate store is about 20 miles away in Savannah. I guess that explains it.

6. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I try to avoid these. Luckily I have quite a few corporate stores nearby. They will charge $25 for a sim card where you can get one free at a corporate store. Not sure how they stay in businesss. Some have the same signs & advertising as the corporate store

7. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

I would call and send an e-mail to AT&T customer service. Maybe kind of play naive, tell them you feel that it's unfair of them (AT&T) to make you purchase extras like this. Compare the transaction to "one time when I was buying a used car and felt pressured". They may lean on the place where you bought your stuff, or give you credit. Nothing to lose, I have gotten quite a bit from POLITELY complaining.

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I second this. Tell them that the reason you are calling is that you supposedly "had" to purchase a "free" case and car charger. Make sure that they understand that you were lead to believe that this was required with your purchase, even though the word "free" was used.

9. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

I think I will do that later today and see what AT&T says. Just seems kind of weird that a store can just make up their own little policy's.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree with calling AT&T. I'd request a $50 credit to the account. Let us know how it goes.

11. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Well I just got off the phone with AT&T and they basically said I'm stuck. The Rep said I could take it back to the store and attempt to return it and get a refund. He said that it could be a policy of the store since they are not a corporate store and just an authorized retailer. He said if I would have purchased online or at a corporate store then I would not have been required to purchase a car charger and a case. Seems kind of fishy but it is what it is I guess.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That sucks. :( But at least you got the phone sooner than you would have if you had ordered online. I'd try returning the accessories to the store. If that doesn't work, you could always sell them on eBay or Craigslist and recoup some of the money.

13. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Yes I really wanted my phone before X-Mas so it's a good thing I was able to pick it up. Also I did need a car charger because mine just died so I guess I can't complain about that, lol. I guess it's just the principle of it. The case seems okay. It's a Casemate Pop Case (White/Grey). I might just keep it in case my Bumpers break or I want a change of pace.

14. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

Welc:)me to the iPhone world!

and welcome to this great community

15. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Thank You! I had the 3G and the 4 so I'm definently an iPhone lover. This 4S is awesome and Siri is amazing. I like her.

16. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I don't see where they FORCED you to buy the extra stuff. My ATT store always tosses up a screen protector and a case and a charger when I buy a new phone. I just tell them to keep that stuff. The ATT car chargers are poo poo anyway.

17. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

Look to see you around

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's hard to say what would have happened if he had said he refused to buy the accessories, but the point is that they pressured him into buying them and he didn't want to risk not being able to get the phone since it was so hard to find one in stock in the first place. It's sounds like he went along with what they said was a requirement and then later thought about how he may have been able to get out of it and how it was shady.

19. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

That is exactly what happened Europa. The rep said, "Our iPhone 4S includes the car charger and case with purchase that will make the total $250.00". At that point I didn't want to risk not getting the phone. She worded it like it wasn't an option so I guess in my excitement I assumed I had to purchase them.

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

could you try to return the items ?
    I must say so I buy car chargers AT&T (we are not lucky on those) and they exchange it no question ask if it fails.