Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvermoon, Jan 21, 2015.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Magic Mouse

50.0%
  2. Magic Trackpad

50.0%
  1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I've had a Magic Mouse for about two weeks and it is a love/hate relationship. I like that it is easier to drag and drop files or navigate through menus in applications. I like that it is portable. I don't like that the MM will suddenly lose connection and I have to pair it again with the MBP. It is uncomfortable at times to use and doesn't have a natural feel like other products. I was debating between the MM, MT, or just leaving the built-in trackpad enabled.

The store sent me an email receipt so taking it back for something else is not a problem.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use one with my iMac and love it. I don't have any trouble with it losing the connection. I guess it's happened a few times, but it's so infrequent that it never really bothered me. It's one of my favorite things with Apple computers. I have it set up with lots of touch (non-click) gestures. I can't imagine going back to a standard mouse.

I have another Magic Mouse that I used with my MacBook, but I sold that computer a few years back. I use an iMac when I'm home and an iPad/iPhone everywhere else. I think most people just use the trackpad with their MacBooks.

3. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I have the Magic Trackpad which I use at home with an iMac. I got it when OS X Lion came out and added the gestures. The trackpad works very well, batteries last a long time, and I don't have any disconnect problems with it.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Fast forward to El Capitan, tonight I sent feedback into Apple because the Magic Mouse will not connect. I've checked that Bluetooth was turned on and that the Magic Mouse was turned on and it just says "Connecting"... I had pairing issues with Yosemite too, but it seems to be worse on El Capitan. I switched out the batteries a couple days ago. It does seem to pair correctly when I restart the computer and follow the steps again. I'm unsure why it's refusing to pair and would appreciate any help to minimize the issue or get it resolved.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I got my first Mac, a MBP, in 2010. Transitioning from Windows and using a "traditional" 2 button mouse w/wheel, I got the Magic Mouse to use with the MBP when sitting at a table, and when I had it docked to my 22" monitor with an Apple USB keyboard. I liked the Magic Mouse and never had any problems with it but I only used it a short time.

My MBP was not only my first Mac, it was also my first laptop. Once I got used to using the built in trackpad I found I preferred it over using the Magic Mouse. I made a trip to the Apple Store to get a Magic Trackpad to replace the Magic Mouse when using the MBP in docked mode. I haven't used the Magic Mouse since. Now I have a Mac Mini in addition to the MBP and the Magic Trackpad is still going strong, despite some hard use.

For my use and personal preference, the Magic Trackpad works better and offers more gestures. It takes less overall motion, a bonus when my RA flares up. I will note that I have my Magic Trackpad sitting on a small mousepad with a gel wrist rest similar to this one. Makes it even more comfortable and ergonomic for me.

6. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have both, but I prefer the Magic Mouse. The main reason I prefer it is because I find it more comfortable to use. Since it's smaller, I can rest my pinky to the right of it and bottom of my hand (near the wrist) underneath it.