MagicDial - Would You Use This?

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
MagicDial is an unusual app that's on a price reduction until the end of Monday.

Suppose you want to conserve your cell phone minutes. So, you end up using a landline. Well, instead of retyping your contact's phone number, MagicDial will dial it for you. Just hold it up to the phone's receiver and it will dial for you automatically.

I could actually do this on my Amiga computer back in the late 80s. So, I know it's possible. But, would people actually have use for this?

I have a couple of thousand rollover minutes, so I'd rather use my cell phone than a landline. And AT&T 3G coverage is very good where I live. So, I actually TRY to use my iPhone whenever possible.

The app is $.99 until the end of Monday.

Would anyone here actually have use for this kind of app?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What's a "landline"?

;)

Cool app though. It would defeinitely have it's uses.

Reminds me of an old phreaking trick. Take a microcassette recorder and record the tones generated by the handset of a payphone when you drop a few dollars worth of quarters into it. Then you could replay that back and get free calls.

Don't try it, it doesn't work anymore. But it was a cool way to call my, now, wife... when I was in college... for very cheap :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What's a "landline"?

;)

Cool app though. It would defeinitely have it's uses.

Reminds me of an old phreaking trick. Take a microcassette recorder and record the tones generated by the handset of a payphone when you drop a few dollars worth of quarters into it. Then you could replay that back and get free calls.

Don't try it, it doesn't work anymore. But it was a cool way to call my, now, wife... when I was in college... for very cheap :)
Yeah that is oldschool
I know about the captain crunch whistle with the right tone to trick their system into thinking you were the operator. I wish this stuff was possible today :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper#Phreaking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_box_(phreaking)