Mail.app crashing, why?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I restored my phone but now MobileMail.app does not open, just opens and closes as if it has permissions problems. What I've tried so far:

-Trying BossPrefs "Fix User Dir Permissions" option. It actually described my exact problem, but it didn't fix it.
-Downloading the 1.1.4 iPhone applications pack from Installer (for iPod touch users). No apparent change in anything.

Do I have to restore again?

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
maybe you should try to restore, it`s better then to get your phone packed with all that stuff for nothing, sometimes you can have weird problems after restoring, my phone used to loose signal after i made a restore i tried a lot of things but nothing worked so i made another restore and everything was back to normal

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I restored my phone but now MobileMail.app does not open, just opens and closes as if it has permissions problems. What I've tried so far:

-Trying BossPrefs "Fix User Dir Permissions" option. It actually described my exact problem, but it didn't fix it.
-Downloading the 1.1.4 iPhone applications pack from Installer (for iPod touch users). No apparent change in anything.

Do I have to restore again?
Yes, restore. I too had trouble with my mail. It took three restores and rejailbreaks before it worked. That was three months ago, now everything is working. Sometime we have to do these things if we want to keep our phones different from the masses. Simple. :cool:

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Restore and setup as a new phone, don't use your backup files. THEN try your mail, and then jailbreak using pwnage.

Man, I've been on a pwnage kick today...

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
The easiest way to fix your problem is to go to var/moblie/library/mail and set permissions to 777. After that shut your iPhone down and restart it and your mail app will work again. This is a common problem after doing a restore.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The easiest way to fix your problem is to go to var/moblie/library/mail and set permissions to 777. After that shut your iPhone down and restart it and your mail app will work again. This is a common problem after doing a restore.
Oh man, that worked awesome! I'm so glad I passed on all those re-restore suggestions. Thanks!

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Oh man, that worked awesome! I'm so glad I passed on all those re-restore suggestions. Thanks!

Yeah, restore seems to be the standard answer for every problem even if there's an easier resolution.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
What are you using to navigate to var/mobile/library/mail, because everytime I do it, I don't see anything that allows me to change the permissions. I tried using iPhone Browser and iBrickr.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I use WinSCP. Just navigate to var/mobile/Library, right mouse click on mail and then click on properties. Now you can set the permissions (octal) to 0777. Make sure you click on Set group, owner and permissions recursively. This will automatically set all files under the Mail directory to 0777 also.
That's it.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
That program confuses me. I still have it on my computer, but when I open it, I have no idea what I'm supposed to type in for it to take me to the directories on my phone.

Can you remind me?

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
The easiest way to learn WinSCP is to go to http://limitededitioniphone.com and in the Most Popular section there should be a guide on how to use it with an iPhone. I like it because I can get into my phone through wifi and not have to bother connecting a cable from my phone to my computer.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
Oh, that's neat. I wouldn't have guessed we can do that. Thanks for the source.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
That program confuses me. I still have it on my computer, but when I open it, I have no idea what I'm supposed to type in for it to take me to the directories on my phone.

Can you remind me?
I'm on a Mac, but I imagine that WinSCP asks for a server, which is your IP address, a username which is root, and the password which is alpine, and then you will connect. The directories that are on you phone will be listed. That's pretty much it.