Mail app won't open

moze

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
Hey guys/gals, im having a very annoying problem. Ever since i got my 3g, which has been since it came out, my mail app wouldn't open, it would load a blank screen for 3 secs then back to the home screen. now i call fido,my service provider here in canada, and he pretty much explained to me that the problem is that i had an account set up on my first gen iPhone and when i set up the new 3g it got transfered to it but i guess a file got corrupt and the only way to take it off, after many trials and error, was to simply restore my phone as new, and transfer the files myself from windows address book so it wouldn't sync anything else, so i did that and it work.

now the problem is, ever since i had another problem so i did another sync, and bam the problem is back, now i really don't want to restore my phone all over again and resync all the songs and apps and contacts..so is there a way i can solve this as id like to start using this app.

and yes i searched this forum, the only post is for jailbroken phones which mine isn't and don't plan to do either.

thanks!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
First off I would not allow iTunes to sync your email accounts. It really serves no purpase but to sync potential problems back and forth. Uncheck that option in iTunes Than I would go to your phone, delete your email account and re-enter it at the phone.

moze

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
that option is already unchecked plus i cant even delete an email account, when i try to do it, it just comes back, the info wont go away

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I was able to fix this issue, without spending hours restoring and reconfiguring the iPhone as new, by this methed:

1.) Jailbroke, and made sure Cydia was installed.

2.) Used Cydia to install Boss Prefs.

3.) Within Boss Prefs ran "Fix User Dir Permissions."

That's it. After that Mail finally worked again. Before that Mail would not load, and would not allow the deletion/addition of mail accounts. I too tried to use iTunes to sync mail accounts, only to get Mail to work, but that of course didn't work. The steps above cleared it up instantly. Took less than 15 minutes (including Jailbreaking).

--
Mike

moze

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
I was able to fix this issue, without spending hours restoring and reconfiguring the iPhone as new, by this methed:

1.) Jailbroke, and made sure Cydia was installed.

2.) Used Cydia to install Boss Prefs.

3.) Within Boss Prefs ran "Fix User Dir Permissions."

That's it. After that Mail finally worked again. Before that Mail would not load, and would not allow the deletion/addition of mail accounts. I too tried to use iTunes to sync mail accounts, only to get Mail to work, but that of course didn't work. The steps above cleared it up instantly. Took less than 15 minutes (including Jailbreaking).

--
Mike

thanks but im not jailbroken and im not intending to jailbreak either. is there another work around?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, a full restore and setup as new. Spend hours on that or 15 minutes... your choice.

--
Mike

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
As much as Tinman work around sounds tempting I am not jailbroken either. I am going to make a few basic assumptions before I make a more drastic recommendation. This recommendation is not as radical as a full restore.

1- You are running iPhone software 2.1
2- You are running windows XP or higher
3- You are syncing with iTunes

1- If so I would totally uninstall iTunes
2- There is a new realease of iTunes (8.01) that came out yesterday.
3- Download and install it. By the way it does not mention any bug fixes relevant to you but many times fresh software downloads fix many evils. The key here is "do not" install the new version of iTunes over your current version
4- Delete your mail account at your phone.
5- On your phone go to settings and "reset all settings" This will not effect contacts, calendars, music etc
6- Re do your email account at the phone
7- When you sync, "DO NOT" LET iTUNES sync your email account

It is a little work but not nearly as drastic as a full restore.

moze

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
As much as Tinman work around sounds tempting I am not jailbroken either. I am going to make a few basic assumptions before I make a more drastic recommendation. This recommendation is not as radical as a full restore.

1- You are running iPhone software 2.1
2- You are running windows XP or higher
3- You are syncing with iTunes

1- If so I would totally uninstall iTunes
2- There is a new realease of iTunes (8.01) that came out yesterday.
3- Download and install it. By the way it does not mention any bug fixes relevant to you but many times fresh software downloads fix many evils. The key here is "do not" install the new version of iTunes over your current version
4- Delete your mail account at your phone.
5- On your phone go to settings and "reset all settings" This will not effect contacts, calendars, music etc
6- Re do your email account at the phone
7- When you sync, "DO NOT" LET iTUNES sync your email account

It is a little work but not nearly as drastic as a full restore.

its not working cause i cant delete that email account..if i do it just brings it all back. so this isn't really working!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sorry man, I can not thnk of any possible reason why the phone will not let you delete an account. It makes no sense. I think the only 2 options are an appointment at the Apple store or a full restore.

moze

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
Sorry man, I can not thnk of any possible reason why the phone will not let you delete an account. It makes no sense. I think the only 2 options are an appointment at the Apple store or a full restore.

ya i think thats the only way around this sadly

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It's a permissions issue. Restore or jailbreak as outlined above. Apple store can only do the former.

--
Mike

rindcorp

Jul 22, 2011
Simple solution! I had the same problem. My fix - go to pictures and email one. Loads the picture in a new email and problem solved!