Mail apps

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by silvermoon, Mar 15, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm finding the stock mail app to be pretty limited in its functionality and rather plain. So what I want in a mailbox is a unified inbox, support for outlook/365, push notifications, larger font size when reading messages, and swipe gestures. I'm checking out MyMail and CloudMail, but interested to know what everyone is using.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Molto is pretty good.

3. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Chech out Mailbox. I used it for a while but ended up back with the stock Mail.app.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I always end up back with the stock mail app. I've tried several others, but don't see the benefit.

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Yup. Different, but not better. The stock Mail.app works really well for, boring interface and all. If there was an app that handled mail better I'd be all over it. The Mail.app gives me everything I need including a unified inbox and access to sub-folders. I'd love a message hub like BlackBerry has on BB10 devices but that's not available on other platforms. Short of something like that I don't see an aftermarket program getting me to change.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The bulk of my enjoyment of this app came from its waiting-in-the-queue-to-get-started "feature". After getting in, I promptly deleted it: back then, it only supported Gmail (but that has since changed).

However, I would still not use it. It just seems like a quick-and-dirty way to procrastinate taking care of one's e-mails. Its goal is not to follow up on e-mails; instead, it pursues the rather useless goal of "Inbox Zero." I believe it encourages laziness.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I agree. I am manic about a clean inbox, but it's for dealing with emails and not just shuffling them off to another folder. Having an unread email drives me nuts. Knowing it's there, just in a "read later" folder, is no better than having it in my inbox. I quickly realized that Mailbox's primary feature was completely wasted on me. I thought that the wait for activation with Mailbox (I waited almost a week!) meant it was "the next great thing." Yeah, no. For me, for now, dealing with emails as they come in and filing them in sub-folders is my process.

9. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

You should definitely try out molto. It's still free. It has a great "unread" tab to let you quickly access unread without having to enter the main email feature of a mail app.

10. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I downloaded Molto today and deleted it after an hour or so. It insists on prompting me to create a calendar appointment each time I get an email with a time/date in it. Even writing "Tuesday night" in an email seems to prompt this. That takes up half my inbox screen and there is no way to clear it. Nothing in Settings to turn this off. The app still needs work.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I downloaded Molto as well and I don't like the social networking feel of the app. The stock mail app works, but it'd be nice if it had different themes.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Sometimes I get creative with emails. I take a suitable background, use Phonto to type my message on the background image, then paste it to an email. Presto, a themed email. Yeah, it's a bit of legwork and not practical to do with all mail, but is fun for those special times.

13. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I still think BlackBerry hit a home run with their message hub. I like how it's configurable too.

14. timus

timus New Member

My experience exactly. Remember when Mailbox with its limited rollout drew all the press? Good technique. I deleted it. I use the Google client along with the default each for their individual mail packets, but I'm just playing. I'm a Nativist at heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Just came across this mail app which may solve your issues with molto creating a calendar thing. It's free which I can't believe given that it's such a gr8 email client. It allows yahoo, hotmail, outlook, gmail and aol. Beautiful interface and works really nicely. I'd even say it tops molto. https://itunes.apple.com/app/mymail-free-email-manager/id722120997?mt=8