Mail Doesn't Delete My Mail

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Mail doesn't seem to be deleting any of my mail from any of my mailboxes.

I'll go ahead and delete an email on my Gmail account. I'll then empty the trash can. I would then go to gmail.com, login, and the message would still be there. Is this normal or what?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
To check, go to Gmail on a desktop browser - go to Settings > Forwarding & POP/IMAP - and look at IMAP status - see if it has Enabled or Disabled selected.

If you are using IMAP, your mail folders (incl. Inbox) should stay in sync between iPhone / browser etc.

If you don't fancy IMAP, you also have settings on that page for how messages are treated when they're accessed via POP etc.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I'm talking about the Mail application on OS X...

But I did that, changed the incoming server to imap.gmail.com, and it doesn't work.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Mail does the same thing for me too. No matter what I do to delete mail, it will always come back in the "all mail" folder. Haven't found a good way around it except for deleting unwanted mail on my iPhone or gmail's web access....

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Go here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs

Google Known Issues said:
Folder subscriptions in Apple Mail 3 are not compatible with Gmail IMAP access at this time (folders don't populate in the 'Subscription List').

In the meantime, you may want to try a different mail client, such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
Well that kind of sucks...I was really enjoying using a desktop mail application to manage all my email accounts, but if they don't actually delete themselves or do anything, then what's the point?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Holy crap, I got it working, but now my mail keeps going back and forth! Under "Trash" for my Gmail account (all the folders showed up), some of my deleted messages will show up. I'll then delete those messages. THEN, in the main trashcan, they will show up there. SO, I'll delete those. THEN, THOSE messages go back in to the original "Trash" folder for my Gmail account.

WHAT THE F$#@?

Wait, I think I got it. I installed the Advanced Imap stuff from Gmail Labs and I think it worked.