mail issue with 3G

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
i don't have a great plan for 3G but i don't really need it because my school and my home have wifi in them, but lately ( passed couple months ) i cant get my e-mail on the wifi at school. it always says cannoct connect to "smtp.gmail.com" why is that? anyuway to fix it?

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
when you get this mail error, can you surf anywhere in Safari? if not, your connection to wifi is the issue.

your stated error, SMTP, is for outgoing mail. are you getting incoming mail?

if you verify the wifi connection is ok, i would re-do your email setup.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
the wifi connection is fine. i surf the net. go on the appstore. do plenty of things but i cant get e-mail. i cant receive e-mail. iv redone my e-mail at least 10 times.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Did you try to reset your network connections in the iPhone? I know you said you are able to surf the web but this may help. Also try turning your phone off and back on daily. This clears up a lot of issues.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Sometimes when you can't send (because of the smtp issue) it mucks it up for everything (sending and receiving). If you're using wifi, find out number 1. what you have for your SMTP and 2. what each wifi carrier is using. For instance, school is using comcast or AT&T or Nuvox, etc.

The problem with wifi is it can cause issues sending because the smtp setting needs to match between what you have and what the wifi is using. For instance if I use bellsouth DSL at home on my wifi then my SMTP on my phone needs to be mail.bellsouth.net. And if I have Sprint wireless at work then my SMTP needs to read smtp.sprintpcs.com. So you can see if I have mail.bellsouth.net on my phone, once I get to work it won't send mail... or it will give me that error.

First thing I would do is clean up your account, get rid of any Outbox items and reload the account. Then set it up according to the notes above (say at home for instance) then test it out to make sure you're sending and receiving. If it works then when you get to school test it out again and see if it fails to send.

My guess is that is what your problem is going to be.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Also, make sure your SMTP settings are "on" in your email settings.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
If you're using WiFi, your school might be blocking email. I know most university's and college's block the use of email while connected through WiFi since it's generally considered to be extremely insecure.

Since you aren't on 3G, the school can block what ever they please since all your traffic is flowing through their access points.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
If you're using WiFi, your school might be blocking email. I know most university's and college's block the use of email while connected through WiFi since it's generally considered to be extremely insecure.

Since you aren't on 3G, the school can block what ever they please since all your traffic is flowing through their access points.
but it still lets me send out? and when i get on a computer on the campus it lets me use my e-mail. seeing as iv tried everything and it hasn't working. this seams like the most logical answer. Thanks