Mail - Secret To Quick Delete?

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
What is the secret to doing that quick delete function within the mail inbox - where you slide your finger to the right and the little Delete button appears? I can only get it about half the time. Most of the time when I do it the message is displayed. Of all the iPhone gestures, this seems to be the only one I can't do very well. Anyone else have this problem?

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
I find that if you do it quickly the delete will show up.

- Garrett

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I have had no issues. I just move my finger from left to right or right to left (on the msg or SMS) and the Delete button just shows up.

osric

Jun 23, 2007
flick from right to left

What is the secret to doing that quick delete function within the mail inbox - where you slide your finger to the right and the little Delete button appears? I can only get it about half the time. Most of the time when I do it the message is displayed. Of all the iPhone gestures, this seems to be the only one I can't do very well. Anyone else have this problem?
I find a short flick from right to left is more effective in bringing up the Delete button. Flicking from left to right often results in the message opening, which is not what want when I'm trying to delete it.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grin ... I've resorted to EDIT ..... or just open the message and play with the trash can at the bottom. :p

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
When you swipe, swipe BOLDLY. Don't be timid :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I get the best results when I swipe over the email subject, just like I'm crossing it out. I think that's the intention, a little too linear for it's own good if you ask me however.

jdm726

Sep 10, 2007
DC
wow i had no idea you could do that, i thought i knew all the shortcuts
thanks

MaineWriter

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Yes but how can you delete multiple messages in one shot?;)
I don't think you can. That's one of the things folks have been complaining about and hope will be fixed in an update.

MW

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I practice, practice, practice. It is my new hobby. I try all types of variations on the swipe and concentrate until sweat beads on my brow to achieve perfect repeatability of technique. I am up to perhaps as high as 85% success rate. I live for the reward of seeing that red delete button show up. I start to salivate. I feel completely defeated when I am instead forced to look at the spam I am trying to delete. Basically, the feature sucks.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Open the email .... hit the trash can at the bottom of the screen

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
If only there was a way to empty the mailbox, or mark all messages as read. :(