Mail Wish List

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Now that I've been using the iPhone extensively for 5 days, I've found that I use email the most, mostly for work. The IMAP feature is a dream and iTunes sync'd over all of my mail accounts. I haven't had to add or modify an account. Once I fixed a couple misconfigurations with my IMAP server everything is in perfect sync between my MacBook and iPhone. Perfect!

Since I use Mail so much, I've developed a list, in order, of the things I really need or would be really helpful:

1. BCC - Reply-to would also be nice.
  2. Search - With hundreds/thousands of email I would like to be able to find one I've sent or deleted.
  3. Filters - Mail's junk mail filtering and other filters sync'd from my Mac would be really really helpful, especially for dealing with spam. I have to leave my MacBook on to help manage the filtering. This is another area where IMAP shines.
  4. Switch Accounts - I have to go back to taps to get to the account list, then go in two taps to the Inbox. A way to easily switch from one inbox to another would be quite handy.
  5. Sending Account - I know it uses the Default Account setting to send an email when not in Mail (like sharing a web page), but I would like to be able to choose which account the mail is being sent from when I'm addressing it.
  6. Sort Messages - It kinda sorts by date but sometimes it would be nice to resort or sort by reversed date or sender, especially with larger mailboxes.
  7. Landscape Mode
  8. Delete Multiple - Delete or move more than one message at a time.
  9. Threaded View - I prefer this view in Mail on OS X, and now feel lost with messages scattered about.
  10. Insert Sig - This could be combined with the above. I don't always need to sign my email, but it would be nice to tap a button to have my signature or any other text inserted.
  11. Bottom Posting - I hate top-posting.
  12. Sort Accounts - Not sure why the sync put accounts in the order it did, but I would like to put the accounts I use most often at the top of the list.
  13. Change Recipient - I don't see a way to readdress an email once it has been sent and failed. Now I have an email that has already been written but can't fix it to resend. Maybe I'm missing something here.
  14. Send Multiple Pictures - Can only send one pic at a time. I wouldn't mind being able to send an album.

I'm sure most of these will be addressed in a future update. Anyone have anything they absolutely must have added to their iPhone Mail?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
You know I aggree 100% they missed so much.. I wish I can delete more then 1 E-Mail at a time...
Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. If my filters were sync'd this would be less of a priority for me.

I don't think they missed anything. It's just not there yet. Reminds me of using Mail on OS X when it first came out; lots of features were added later.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
12. Support for attached email messages (big one that I just noticed)

13. Show only subscribed IMAP folders

14. Allow multiple sending email addresses with one account

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
12. Support for attached email messages (big one that I just noticed)

13. Show only subscribed IMAP folders

14. Allow multiple sending email addresses with one account
Can you clarify why you want these, esp #14? Thanks!

I added Delete Multiple to the list after Landscape Mode.

qlock

Jul 2, 2007
Quick scroll feature.

I sometimes get really long emails or pdf attatchments with a bunch of pages. It would be nice to quickly scroll to the last page or to the bottom of a long email instead of having to flick the screen 20 times.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

The ability to group contacts would be nice. IF you're a little league coach you could set up a group of parent's emails so you could type one email and send it to 15 sets of parents by selecting the group instead of 15 different email addresses.

I'll bet this will come in the future.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

If someone forwards an email message as an attachment (as opposed to in-line), the iPhone cannot read the attached email message.

Many IMAP email clients allow you to only see some of your IMAP folders. The iPhone shows you ALL your folders which gets our of hand. I have MANY folders and subfolders in which I file email, but I only read a few folders.

I also use my IMAP account for more than one email address (businesss, personal, junk). I could not set up multiple accounts in order to send email from all of my addresses (iPhone got confused when I created two accounts with the same login info even though I gave them different names).

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
The ability to group contacts would be nice. IF you're a little league coach you could set up a group of parent's emails so you could type one email and send it to 15 sets of parents by selecting the group instead of 15 different email addresses.

I'll bet this will come in the future.
It lets you setup Groups but not to send mail to a group. I agree it'll be there eventually!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If someone forwards an email message as an attachment (as opposed to in-line), the iPhone cannot read the attached email message.

Many IMAP email clients allow you to only see some of your IMAP folders. The iPhone shows you ALL your folders which gets our of hand. I have MANY folders and subfolders in which I file email, but I only read a few folders.

I also use my IMAP account for more than one email address (businesss, personal, junk). I could not set up multiple accounts in order to send email from all of my addresses (iPhone got confused when I created two accounts with the same login info even though I gave them different names).
I see what you mean! I agree the forwarded mail thing should be fixed and probably will before long. But I really haven't run into these issues myself.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I would also add a "Day Separater" - similar to what the Blackberry's do where your email is separated by days and in between each day it lists the day of the week and date followed by the emails received that day.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I would also add a "Day Separater" - similar to what the Blackberry's do where your email is separated by days and in between each day it lists the day of the week and date followed by the emails received that day.
That would be kinda cool! I'm not familiar with how that looks. Can you add a screen shot?

This reminds me of a threaded view of messages which would really be handy. I'm adding that to my list.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
How about any email features folks liked or miss from their Blackberry or other phone? I don't have much experience with them but it sounds like there are some good features out there that might be unique to those devices.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
In addition to all the specific bits already mentioned, I'd like to see true Exchange functionality with push as well as contacts & calendar synchronization. I'm getting pushback from my IT department about opening up our Exchange server via IMAP, and I have a feeling I'm not going to win that battle. All of our other mobile devices use Active Sync, and they aren't willing to change their protocols for the few iPhones we currently have in circulation. Synchronica claims to have a software-free mail syncing solution, but I'm concerned that it's going to be extremely expensive. Providing a true Exchange solution via Active Sync would take this device to a whole new level and open up a huge market among businesss users.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I hear ya! I wish Exchange didn't become the norm and that they'd implement IMAP but I know a lot of corporations are setup this way and agree that this will be an important thing to get into those workplaces.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Actually Joe, if number 11 truly bothers you, you should be able to remove the accounts from the phone then manually add them in the order you prefer from the Settings > Mail screen.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Actually Joe, if number 11 truly bothers you, you should be able to remove the accounts from the phone then manually add them in the order you prefer from the Settings > Mail screen.
You're absolutely right! I thought of that already and I just might do that. It's definitely a notable solution so thanks! :laugh2:

Is there anything you would add to this list or anything else I haven't thought of?