Mailbox App Reservation

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I dislike countdowns because I see them as a gimmick to get people excited and eager to adopt a product. People want what they can't have lol

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Don't get too excited. Unless you only use Gmail then it's going to be a kick in the...
I could always delete it and get in line again so I can enjoy watching the countdown again... I'm getting close. If I can, I'm going to grab a couple screenshots for you fine people when it gets very close to zero.

It almost feels like New Year's Eve. They should've included an animation of a ball dropping.

:jubilant:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I dislike countdowns because I see them as a gimmick to get people excited and eager to adopt a product. People want what they can't have lol
You need to learn to appreciate a countdown for the sake of the countdown itself. It's nothing short of a magical experience. You're assigned an integer, sometimes in the six-figure range, and this integer decrements by one and only one number at a time. Watching it slowly decrement is wonderful in and of itself. If that should prove monotonous, you have another option: you can walk away from the countdown. You stay away from it for a few hours, perhaps a few days. But the countdown never leaves you. You hear it beckoning for you to come back regardless of what you're doing. Suddenly you give in to its omnipresent power and you pick up your iDevice. You swipe to the screen on which the app providing the countdown lives. You ready your mind and your finger to tap the icon. As your finger inches closer to the icon, you wonder what integer the countdown could be on. Has the next big milestone in the countdown been reached? Your heart racing, your finger finally makes contact with the icon. The app swiftly launches and the integers decrease ever so rapidly. Sensory overload becomes a very real possibility. Then, you notice the integrr assigned to you is now comprised of five digits instead of six. You are happy.

Reactions: iphonewarrior

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
You need to learn to appreciate a countdown for the sake of the countdown itself. It's nothing short of a magical experience. You're assigned an integer, sometimes in the six-figure range, and this integer decrements by one and only one number at a time. Watching it slowly decrement is wonderful in and of itself. If that should prove monotonous, you have another option: you can walk away from the countdown. You stay away from it for a few hours, perhaps a few days. But the countdown never leaves you. You hear it beckoning for you to come back regardless of what you're doing. Suddenly you give in to its omnipresent power and you pick up your iDevice. You swipe to the screen on which the app providing the countdown lives. You ready your mind and your finger to tap the icon. As your finger inches closer to the icon, you wonder what integer the countdown could be on. Has the next big milestone in the countdown been reached? Your heart racing, your finger finally makes contact with the icon. The app swiftly launches and the integers decrease ever so rapidly. Sensory overload becomes a very real possibility. Then, you notice the integrr assigned to you is now comprised of five digits instead of six. You are happy.
Lol this is a great post! But countdowns make me think of death, tic, toc your time is running out :D. Good job on the post, it was fun to read!

Reactions: Rafagon

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Would you like a tissue for your countdown issue?

Reactions: liberated

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Just got my mailbox. When I went to log in, it said it wanted to manage my contacts also. Since I sync my contacts with iCloud, will this in anyway interfere with that?
Anyone?

Sent Using iCafe App

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well, I'm in. I lost a beautiful and mentally-stimulating countdown timer, but I've gained a tool that should prove invaluable in the practice of efficient procrastination. The app is a fantastic (and fun!--long swipes, short swipes, Whuuuuutt! Wild stuff!) way to put off for tomorrow what you could do now... (or this evening, or later today, or this weekend... the possibilities the devs granted this app seem to have only been limited by the amount of space on the screen):

mailboxapp.jpg

I like the "Someday" option. It's like... "Whenever I'm in the mood to do it." Had they forgone the icons and just used text, and smaller buttons, here are some additional options I would have enjoyed seeing:

... On a sunny day (the task in the e-mail is weather-dependent)
... When my boss is out of town...
... When my wife is out of town...
... When I'm inebriated... (The heavy-set lady in Accounting e-mailed me that we should meet at a bar)
... When my net worth exceeds x amount (My fiancée has just e-mailed me saying she wants a $300K+ wedding and $500K+ honeymoon)

The Mailbox app provides an excellent, albeit false, sense of accomplishment by having an inbox status of zero. Sure, there's zero e-mails on the main screen. You've just pushed them all off to the left or the right side of the screen.

In the app's defense, however, this life-facilitating aspect of modern technology seems to be what's popular these days (and I'm not complaining). Sometimes it's for the best, but it will have the inevitable side effect of rendering us mentally lazy. It seems like just yesterday I had all my friends' numbers memorized. I could dial someone's number in two seconds, as opposed to the half a second it takes me today to tap on their number on their contact card. But I probably spend another half a second navigating to their contact card (perhaps less if they're on my Favorites). However, what do we do in this day and age if our iPhone is dead, we are without a car charger, and we have to use a pay phone and try to remember an important contact's phone number?

--------------------

Gmail is currently my e-mail account for keeping a permanent record of events. I get eiC notification e-mails there, along with notifications from other websites. I use my iCloud account for actual conversations with my contacts.

The main obstacles to this app's success at this moment are at least two: It only handles Gmail. This can be remedied, I'm sure, if they wanna put the time and effort into it.

The second obstacle will be the real hurdle. iOS doesn't allow the user to specify a default e-mail client other than their Mail.app.

Time will be the deciding factor. Maybe iOS 7 will allow specifying a default mail app other than their very own Mail.app. However, I do feel that Apple's stock Mail client is superb, so I currently don't see Mailbox's offering becoming my go-to solution for e-mail in the near future.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I just got my invite this morning only discover that Mailbox wants me to disable IMAP and to delete some folders. No Thanks! Then, I decided to use one of secondary accounts to give it another go. OK, I'm willing to play with that one for a while to see if I'll like it. I've had my primary account for too long to risk screwing that one beyond all hope just for the chance to try a new mail handling scheme.
YMMV

Sent using iCafe app