Main script execution failed on all installs

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have searched and cannot find any final answer on this issue. I know that with Customize there is a trick to get it to work however that is not my issue.

I used the "fix" this morning from the NewAttiPhone site to relocate my software to the other partition. Immediately, and I mean within a minute, after doing that I started getting a "Main Script Execution Failed" error when attempting to install anything from Installer.
I have rebooted the phone at least 6 times trying to resolve this (suggested in another posting), I have not installed anything other than that fix today and everything was working fine yesterday so I believe the issue was caused either directly or indirectly by the fix.

I am running 1.1.3 jailbroken (obviously). Other than a restore and try again option, are there any suggestions to fix this?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I found the fix on another site. Apparently the out of disk space "fix" I installed changed the permissions and owner of the Installer.app folder. To repair it I had to open Terminal and enter these two lines. Everything works now:

chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
chown -R root:wheel Installer.app

I hope this helps if anyone else has this problem.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I wound up just rejailbreaking my phone because of this same problem. LOL I don't even mind the hassel anymore.

Nov 24, 2007
I found the fix on another site. Apparently the out of disk space "fix" I installed changed the permissions and owner of the Installer.app folder. To repair it I had to open Terminal and enter these two lines. Everything works now:

chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
chown -R root:wheel Installer.app

I hope this helps if anyone else has this problem.
can you please explain this a little ?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The phone is separated into two different partitions for software on the internal drive. There is a music partition that is very large and there is an operating system partition that is very small. When the phone was designed it was not intended to store additional software on the OS partition. When a phone is jailbroken it opens the drive to installing new software. By default it saves the aftermarket software into the OS partition and after you have installed some large programs you will get a message that your running out of disk space even though you have a lot of room remaining. That means your running out of room in the OS partition.
The "fix" that is out there (several actually) will move your programs to the music partition and then create a link to the os partition. When you then install software it will think it is putting it in the os partition when it is actually saving it to the music side of the drive and you can then install basically 7 gigs or more of software before you start to run out of room.

As far as the instructions in the posting right above your first question, I have a program on my phone called Term-vt100. It is just a terminal emulator that allows commands to be typed on the phone in a "dos" like environment. The commands listed change the permissions and owner of the installer program back to the ones that they should be set to. In my case I installed a piece of software that changed the ownership of those and made it so they wouldn't launch. Typing those two command lines in the terminal changed those settings back.

Nov 24, 2007
The phone is separated into two different partitions for software on the internal drive. There is a music partition that is very large and there is an operating system partition that is very small. When the phone was designed it was not intended to store additional software on the OS partition. When a phone is jailbroken it opens the drive to installing new software. By default it saves the aftermarket software into the OS partition and after you have installed some large programs you will get a message that your running out of disk space even though you have a lot of room remaining. That means your running out of room in the OS partition.
The "fix" that is out there (several actually) will move your programs to the music partition and then create a link to the os partition. When you then install software it will think it is putting it in the os partition when it is actually saving it to the music side of the drive and you can then install basically 7 gigs or more of software before you start to run out of room.

As far as the instructions in the posting right above your first question, I have a program on my phone called Term-vt100. It is just a terminal emulator that allows commands to be typed on the phone in a "dos" like environment. The commands listed change the permissions and owner of the installer program back to the ones that they should be set to. In my case I installed a piece of software that changed the ownership of those and made it so they wouldn't launch. Typing those two command lines in the terminal changed those settings back.
i restored anyways, but how would i install Term-vt100, when Installer isn't letting me install?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you didn't have term already on your phone you can use WinSCP on your PC and open a terminal window within that (when connected to the phone) and you can run the commands that way as well.

sacflava

Oct 29, 2007
If you didn't have term already on your phone you can use WinSCP on your PC and open a terminal window within that (when connected to the phone) and you can run the commands that way as well.

Griffinaz..I tried to change the permissions using the terminal in WinSCP but I kept getting an error that the file or folder does not exist. I don't really want to have to restore because I installed quite a few apps already.

Oct 13, 2008
Fixed

Griffinaz..I tried to change the permissions using the terminal in WinSCP but I kept getting an error that the file or folder does not exist. I don't really want to have to restore because I installed quite a few apps already.
You need to go to open the 'Applications' folder in WinSCP to perform the terminal coding.
Hope this helped!