• I have a combination of both

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I have installed apps problems

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HDRide

Jul 26, 2009
I'm having nothing but problems with my iPhone :(, first I bought an 8GB standard iPhone 3G thah had a problem with calls going right to voicemail. AT&T tried calling me and it went there so the phone was replaced by Apple with a 16GB 3G S. I thought ok now my problems are over, far from the truth. I'm having more problems now than I did with the old one. I have the same issue and more. I found the phone will connect to a 3G tower and have 4 bars of signal then while at the same spot switch to a none 3G tower and the signal will die to 1 or 2 bars. AT&T says this is normal.....okay what don't I understand here. Then I'm sitting here at my computer and the wireless is "connected" and I can even get to the App Store. Maybe it's the area I live in, I know where I live 3G isn't available but where I work is on the border of coverage.
This represents some of the problems I'm having, I'm wondering if there are others out there with the same issues?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
You don't say where you are. There are many things that can affect coverage, signal, data speeds, etc. If this is still happening with a brand new phone, then I suspect its AT&T where you live. If your phone keeps jumping back and forth from EDGE to 3G and barely holds a 3G signal, you might benefit from turning off 3G until coverage there gets better.

Joe

HDRide

Jul 26, 2009
You don't say where you are. There are many things that can affect coverage, signal, data speeds, etc. If this is still happening with a brand new phone, then I suspect its AT&T where you live. If your phone keeps jumping back and forth from EDGE to 3G and barely holds a 3G signal, you might benefit from turning off 3G until coverage there gets better.

Joe
I understand that signal, data speeds, etc. will affect my phone. What I fail to understand is why i'm having issues like calls going right to voicemail when I have a good Edge signal. Apple says turning off 3G is not a something I should have to do. I'm on the phone with them as I write this. 3G is not available here where I live so "jumping" isn't an answer to my issues.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Att 3g drops to edge or sudden connection failure is common. Ever since 3g was added couple years back every phone gave me those problems now and than. The sudden drop in bars i have with my iPhone on hourly basis.

Doing a quick air plane mode n being near window always helps tho .

Those are why Apple will soon switch thd iPhones to new career . att just cant handle it specially in big cities like d.c. And la

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
OS3 is not ready for prime time...I feel like I am testing this for Apple. And paying big buck to do so...Anyone know if I can take a 3GS back to 2.2?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
IMO a poll that assumes all are having problems is worthless. Since I am not having problems, I cannot accurately vote. Needs to have a "no problems" option to be remotely valid.

--
Mike

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
OS3 is not ready for prime time...I feel like I am testing this for Apple. And paying big buck to do so...Anyone know if I can take a 3GS back to 2.2?
The 3GS came with 3.0, so you cannot go back to 2.2.

Joe

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I understand that signal, data speeds, etc. will affect my phone. What I fail to understand is why i'm having issues like calls going right to voicemail when I have a good Edge signal. Apple says turning off 3G is not a something I should have to do. I'm on the phone with them as I write this. 3G is not available here where I live so "jumping" isn't an answer to my issues.
I missed the part saying you didn't have 3G. As for calls going to voicemail when you're on EDGE, that's very possible. EDGE does not allow for simultaneous voice and data. When you're iPhone is in an "active" data session calls will go to voicemail. An "active" data session is when you're streaming audio/video, downloading an email, bringing up a webpage, etc.

Joe

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
IMO a poll that assumes all are having problems is worthless. Since I am not having problems, I cannot accurately vote. Needs to have a "no problems" option to be remotely valid.
+1 :sneaky:
-
--
---

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Call me lucky, no probs with mine. :cool:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No problems here either. Great battery life and full strength 3G.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
You did not put a poll selection for "no problems". So far the 3Gs has been rock solid. My cellular performance has been vastly superior to how it was with the original iPhone and the 3G service here in Salt Lake City is very nice and peppy. Overall I am extremely pleased.