Major iPhone 5 issues

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
My college freshman daughter dropped her 5 (refurb still under warranty) and cracked the screen. I got an icracked tech to switch out the screen for $149. A few weeks later, her phone went black. The tech said it was dead and would not even get recognized by her computer. He tried switching out the dockport, checked the connections, tried a new screen but it looks like it is toast. He suggested putting the cracked screen back on and going to ATT or the Apple store. He also gave me back the replacement screen. At worst its $269 for a refurb (in which case she will likely get my old 4, along with the warning that if she breaks this one the next step is my wifes old flip phone) or at best we get lucky and they replace it, since it was still functioning after the screen was cracked.

Do you think I'm better off trying the Apple store or ATT? What do you think are my chances?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm assuming they didn't refund your money at iCracked? At this point, there is little risk in having them switch back to the cracked display and giving the Apple Store or AT&T a shot. The iPhone isn't usable in either state, but this at least offers you a shot at getting a working iPhone. Plus, we're talking iPhone 5, so the cost you'll pay to get a working iPhone can be somewhat recouped when you upgrade. I'm not sure of the value these days, but a few months back, I sold my iPhone 5 for around $400. It was unlocked, but still, they fetch a decent return.

My only concern is that Apple will attempt to fix the iPhone, putting a new display on it. If they notice it has been tampered with, they might refuse service. Good thing here is they won't charge you for work. I've never heard of anyone paying and leaving with a broken iPhone.

Sorry to hear you've been dragged through the ringer. Must be frustrating.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks Chris (great forum/site). No icracked did not refund, but at least he tried to fix it and didn't charge me for any of that. My daughters a great kid and a well coordinated athlete but she has always had the droppsies and I have forbidden her to ever work in a nuclear power plant. It's amazing how much they depend on their technology at college now. She can still communicate via text and facetime from her computer with anyone (including me) who is using Apple products, which fortunately for her (and Apple) is almost everyone.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
My college freshman daughter dropped her 5 (refurb still under warranty) and cracked the screen. I got an icracked tech to switch out the screen for $149. A few weeks later, her phone went black. The tech said it was dead and would not even get recognized by her computer. He tried switching out the dockport, checked the connections, tried a new screen but it looks like it is toast. He suggested putting the cracked screen back on and going to ATT or the Apple store. He also gave me back the replacement screen. At worst its $269 for a refurb (in which case she will likely get my old 4, along with the warning that if she breaks this one the next step is my wifes old flip phone) or at best we get lucky and they replace it, since it was still functioning after the screen was cracked.

Do you think I'm better off trying the Apple store or ATT? What do you think are my chances?
If you had taken it to Apple I believe they would have charged you 200 for the screen replacement. I know it's $50 more but at least the phone could have been working if they did it. You don't know if icracked tech could have messed up and ruined the phone. I'm not saying he did but it could be a possibility.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

Maybe a nice protective case for the future. Like an Otterbox Defender or other rugged case.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
yes, she put an otterbox commuter on it after the crack was fixed. A day late and $149 short!

As for going to Apple for the screen, shes in Williamsburg VA- no Apple Store and I'm in richmond, so I figured icracked was the best way to go. I was very impressed by their service. I'll never know if he was the one that caused problem number 2 but he seemed to think that the PMIC got trashed by a power surge or something. This iswhat I plan to tell ATT or the Apple store:
- A few weeks ago my daughter cracked her screen.

- The phone continued to operate fine, so she continued using it.

- A few days ago, she took the phone off the charger and it went black and hasn't come back since.

- When we put it the charger, nothing... when we plug it in an iTunes computer, nothing.

- If we leave it on the charger for more than a few minutes... it gets very hot.

We'll see. Chances are they can tell the screen was removed, but maybe I'll catch a break as I have on occasion in the past.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wouldn't trust anyone other than Apple because it can void the warranty if it's not done through them and I've seen sketchy results like these a lot. I always get AppleCare+ since it covers damage and extends the warranty.

smelton3

Bronze
Apr 5, 2011
yes, she put an otterbox commuter on it after the crack was fixed. A day late and $149 short!

As for going to Apple for the screen, shes in Williamsburg VA- no Apple Store and I'm in richmond, so I figured icracked was the best way to go. I was very impressed by their service. I'll never know if he was the one that caused problem number 2 but he seemed to think that the PMIC got trashed by a power surge or something. This iswhat I plan to tell ATT or the Apple store:
- A few weeks ago my daughter cracked her screen.

- The phone continued to operate fine, so she continued using it.

- A few days ago, she took the phone off the charger and it went black and hasn't come back since.

- When we put it the charger, nothing... when we plug it in an iTunes computer, nothing.

- If we leave it on the charger for more than a few minutes... it gets very hot.

We'll see. Chances are they can tell the screen was removed, but maybe I'll catch a break as I have on occasion in the past.
My intentions are not to marginalise your situation , however it's concerning that you are seeking advice on how to be deceitful. You may just be better off being honest about how you attempted to remedy the situation, but due to distance and cost you chose the alternative you did.

If you can't catch a break, at the minimum the larger lesson is that a person takes ownership of both the action and outcome.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
So what was the outcome? Was Apple able to fix you up?
No- not yet, the genius said he thought the display damage and the phone not working were related. He took it to the back and said it was probably the battery that was bad. I though the phone was still under warranty (originally purchased in dec 12 but replaced by a refurb in Oct 13, need to look into this) but he said it was not. I can get the screen replaced for 150 and the battery replaced for another 100 or so.