Making a call...problem? Anyone else have this?

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Hi Folks,

Today was a bit cruddy for me. Work was a hassle and at the worst time my phone for some reason would not call....

Here is what happened:

Phone was at 100% charge.
Tried dialing a phone number....hit the numbers then hit call.....heard nothing for 20 seconds or so and the screen was then blank. I hit the home key and the phone screen came up with the red "end call" button. No sound whatsoever...no rings...no static...nothing.

I then tried to dial my home number that has an answering machine...it worked just fine.

Tried another number that my buddy was at and knew he was there (in the car with me...LOL)....dialed....same thing happened as in the first paragraph.

Anyone else experience this? I am hoping it was an isolated incident (this afternoon.... as it happened about 9 times)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

:)

Y-Less

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Netherlands, The
I had this once. The best thing I did to solve this problem is restore your iPhone (first backup your personal files from it) and start fresh. (Just a suggestion since i've had it only once).

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have had this happen before, I just rebooted the iPhone. I haven't had that problem since.

raxelsen

Bronze
Nov 16, 2008
Dublin
www.moneymadeonline.ws
I have similar problem to do with the Phone app. When I make a call the screen goes black and then the springboard comes up after a while. I can still call, and talk to whomever I am calling, but I can not hang up as I can not access my Phone app while talking to the person. The green line of "Touch here to get back to call" shows up, but nothing happens if I press it.

Kinda annoying if I call someone and get voicemail - I then have to shut off my phone to "hang up". Anyone else experienced this?

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks folks! What do I do to reboot? Just turn it on and off?

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I have had this happen quite a bit lately. I also found that even though it doesn't ring or do anything on my end, the calls were still going through to the other person (so I would end up calling them 10 times in a row and not know it). Along with dropped calls and failed calls that never connect, all with a full 3G signal, I am convinced it is an AT&T issue, not an iPhone issue. I have spoken to other AT&T customers (iPhone and non-iphone) and they are having the same problems. I have spoken to AT&T and they reconfigured my phone in their system and the problem has been reduced, but is not completely gone. AT&T also informed me of an issue in my home network that is currently being fixed. They told me that if the problem continues after next week then it might be my phone.

Rebooting the phone seems to help sometimes, other times it doesn't. I hope it was a random incident for you, but for me it was a daily problem.

Good luck.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have similar issue this past weekend at the Madonna concert.
Since we had to wait for her 2 hours, I was trying to texting and call my friends who are seating in different section....

However, texting... never go through... tried to call just silence, don't even know if it's even trying to call out or not...

and interesting thing is.... my friends who are sitting with me, they were all had iPhone3G as well, and they had a same issue.

too many iPhone3G in a same spot will cause or something..?
On the other hand, someone else who is stranger was texting back and forth... don't know who is her carrier...but...

it sux that happened when I really needed to meet up with my friends at a concert but no way to reach them...

I'd also say it's probably ATT issue than iPhone

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks Everyone! Much appreciated on the information. I had almost the EXACT problem that Deke had!

Hopefully it is an isolated incident!