Making a ringtone from a song in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tawecdl, Oct 21, 2012.

1. tawecdl

tawecdl New Member

I have a song on my iPhone4 that I want to make as my ringtone.

I have edited the track to start from 0:00 and finish at 0:30, and I have set iTunes to import using AAC encoder on my iTunes preferences but when I right click the track, there is no option to "Create AAC version".

I have searched the forum and youtube for the answer but to no avail. Any help is received gratefuly.

Tom.

2. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

You sound like you're doing it right.

I hope they didn't remove this feature on us with the last iTunes update.

Google "format factory" you can trim and create an m4a with it (iPhone ringtone format)

I will try to make a new ringer today and see about the create AAC; now you have me curious. Both ways are easy but not having to use another program is obviously the easiest

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

3. tawecdl

tawecdl New Member

Right, so I downloaded FF and even still, the mp3 wont even go into the program. Someone somewhere does not want me to have this ringtone... :/

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Is it a DRM protected mp3?

5. tawecdl

tawecdl New Member

nope, not protected. (Didn't know what DRM was so googled it, viewed mp3 in windows, right-clicked heading and checked the protected button. None of the mp3's within the album are protected)

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This is really weird

7. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

The extension for an iPhone ringtone is m4r. I know you can change mp3 to m4r but I'm not sure if you can just do it in reverse. I would try that though.

8. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

The thing to create AAC version is in the iTunes settings, you just don't have it turned on.

9. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I make ringtones all the time and I have my iTunes set to import in mp3 format. This is set in iTunes/preferences/general/import settings. With this set I can right click and say make mp3 version of any song in my library. This is not related to ringtones though. I might suggest that you can make your own ringtones in Garageband. Simply search google for the instructions. Or.. You can download free apps from the app store to create your own ringtones. There are lots of them. Several recently added. Again the extension HAS to be m4r to be used on the iPhone.

10. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

zedge.net has tons of free ringtones for the iPhone format. I got some spooky ones for Halloween.

11. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

My mistake on the m4a. It was a typo.

He is doing it right. Import setting AAC encoder this is the way I have it (I use the 128kbps). I have the create AAC option

12. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I use a freeware program called iRinger. I'm on a PC and I suspect that matters as I don't know if there is a Mac equivalent program available. It works with any song on my PC (purchased from iTunes, ripped from a CD or downloaded in mp3. I simply import the song from my library, move the slider to the 30 second portion that I want to use and export the song. There are options to add effects, fades, etc. and the program will automatically export the new ringtone to iTunes in the m4r format when done under your tones directory in iTunes. I tried it today with a downloaded mp3, a purchased track from iTunes and a song I created in Garage Band on the iPad and all work and can be selected as ring tones or text tones from my phone.

AAC is still available on my Advanced menu in iTunes but it is only available to select when you are on a non-copy written song (non-itunes purchase). Apple wants you to pay them for ring tones through iTunes for iTunes music.