Making calls...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivantwilliams, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...has anyone on AT&T, in Atlanta, GA [or anywhere for that matter] noticed that when you try to make a call, it takes quite a while before it will even start to ring?

And, the browsing and notification experience on AT&T this evening seems rather weird. Has it been confirmed that they are having network issues?

I'm noticing this on two iPhone 4's, and even my iPad 2 notifications seem a little off.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think so, but will you define "quite a while" so I can be certain?

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...well, when making a call, it can be almost 30-40 seconds, if not more before it will even ring. And, I've tried it on two iPhones, and to land and mobile numbers, too.

All rather odd. I even call my Mrs, and I had her iPhone in my hand, and it went to voice mail and never rang.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just timed it and it started to ring after seven seconds. Sometimes it seems longer than that.

Try resetting your network settings.

5. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I've noticed that happen sometimes, but every time a make a phone call the answer is no on my end but I do notice some glitches.

6. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...thanks, I'll try that on both devices, and my iPad 2, too.

7. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

It happens to me as well like 20 to 30 seconds then it starts ringing. I have also noticed missed calls that I know for sure my iPhone never rang! My girl even has told me that several times that she has called it rings 3 times and goes to voicemail but on my end the phone never rings! I'm with Sprint. Hopefully iOS 5.0.1 will fix this problem as well.

8. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

iBoss, Mine does that same thing on AT&T.

9. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

soon we will able to update to iOS 5.0.1 and hopefully will help with this and of course the battery problem which Apple admitted it was a bug.

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Navi, it's been really hit or miss here in the ATL. At work, girlfriend's, and at home, my connection to 3G looks great (4-5 bars all the time) but actual calls and data blow. Sometimes I'll run SpeedTest and get 0.00mbps for everything, and then 5 minutes later I get 5.13mbps download, 1.07mbps upload with a 120 ping. Either the network is over-burdened again with the influx of new iPhone owners, or they are having difficulty upgrading towers to 3G+ (and LTE). I get the feeling (and it's just a feeling at the moment) that the new LTE signal is stomping all over the 3G. Sounds crazy, I know, but Atlanta is one of the first markets to go "Live" with their LTE upgrade, and I think the signals ride on the same bandwidth. LOTS of people with iPhones are complaining about it. Older iPhones don't have near as many problems as iPhone 4's.

11. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Same with me. I have ATT

12. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...something was certainly going on last night. It is working correctly this morning. Thanks for all the tips, too ;)

13. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

I am in Atlanta and I have this problem. Takes for ever to make a call lately and is quite annoying at times. And my data speed is horrible too

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

14. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

MuscleMommy, it seems better today. Try a network reset from your device or reboot it...

15. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks. I did just that. hopefully it will help cause it sure gets annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app