making DVD's?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
anyone know any good programs for making or backing up my dvd collection? i did this a couple years ago with an external dvd drive along with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. not sure if those are even around anymore or if there is better options using the mac? if anyone knows much about it i would love to read what you have to say or if you could just point me in the right direction. also, would dvd+r or dvd-r work better, never really understood that whole concept.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
anyone know any good programs for making or backing up my dvd collection? i did this a couple years ago with an external dvd drive along with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. not sure if those are even around anymore or if there is better options using the mac? if anyone knows much about it i would love to read what you have to say or if you could just point me in the right direction. also, would dvd+r or dvd-r work better, never really understood that whole concept.
If you want to make backups of your DVDs, I recommend Mac The Ripper. Once ripped, you can use Toast by Roxio to burn your DVD. If the video is greater than 4.35 GB (i.e., dual layer) or on multiple discs, you can also explore DVD2One which can allow you to join the titles.

If you are just interested in converting your DVD collection to MP4 for playback on the iPhone, Handbrake is all you need.

Here's a link describing the DVD formats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_R

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
If you want to make backups of your DVDs, I recommend Mac The Ripper. Once ripped, you can use Toast by Roxio to burn your DVD. If the video is greater than 4.35 GB (i.e., dual layer) or on multiple discs, you can also explore DVD2One which can allow you to join the titles.

If you are just interested in converting your DVD collection to MP4 for playback on the iPhone, Handbrake is all you need.

Here's a link describing the DVD formats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_R
dude, i salute you, thanks a ton

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Anything disk related I have to do, I rely on Handbrake and Toast.

- John

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I tried to back up a movie the other day, and it handbrake or the ripper didn't work b/c of protection. Is there a way around this?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If it is a Disney or Sony production, you may need Mac The Ripper (upgraded versions) for the Mac, or DVD Fab HD Decrypter (version 5) for PC. Once you've ripped the video to your hard drive, you can then use Handbrake (or toast, if you are making a full disc backup).