Making FREE calls over 3G/ with (Fring)

I just recently signed up for Skype, downloaded Fring onto my 3g, and it works so good that I cancelled my minutes plan with t-mobile (got 3g unlocked from france)...

I pay $29.95 a month for the 3g on my iPhone
I pay $2.95 a month for 10,000 minutes with Skype..

**Backgrounder let's Fring run in background!...you don't close it!...

I had to change my number, but it's well worth saving $50 a month...

Anybody else try this? Anyone need help with this?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Do you mean the data plan in general? You know that getting a true 3G signal on T-Mobile's network is impossible on the 3G iPhone? T-Mobile's 3G network operates on a frequency that the iPhone's radio does not work on. The iPhone isn't special here - 3G phones must be made special for T-Mobile's network. I think it's the only one in the world that operates on the 1700mhz frequency...

My calls are via Wifi & Edge personally....

I have a wireless connection at home *comcast* that I use , and when i'm not home, I call over Edge...(gprs)..., It's still good sound quality..

I use my phone as a modem for my computer *PdaNet*, and the 3G is amazing!

itt

Dec 5, 2008
Hi

I need to be able to receive calls when mt service providers signal fails (which is a lot where I live) so I am considering skype or similar, could I use what your speaking about here? If so could you give me details of what I need to do many thanks

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
Hi

I need to be able to receive calls when mt service providers signal fails (which is a lot where I live) so I am considering skype or similar, could I use what your speaking about here? If so could you give me details of what I need to do many thanks
Unfortunately, if you have no signal, you have no internet. Skype works off your internet access. If you had no signal and were around a wifi hot spot you could do it, but couldn't leave the hot spot. ie: - Starbucks.

Feb 5, 2009
Redmond, WA
Fring over 3g

I'd like to know how you managed to use Fring's Skype feature over the 3g network, as the application direct from the AppStore does not allow calls to be made on Skype unless you're connected to WiFi?

FrumpyDuck

Feb 4, 2009
Tulsa
Pretty neat idea.:cool:

I could see a lot of people being interested in doing this.

Sounds like a great idea for a lifehacker.com article.

nlaplaca

Bronze
Nov 26, 2008
I just recently signed up for Skype, downloaded Fring onto my 3g, and it works so good that I cancelled my minutes plan with t-mobile (got 3g unlocked from france)...

I pay $2.95 a month for 10,000 minutes with Skype..

**Backgrounder let's Fring run in background!...you don't close it!...

I had to change my number, but it's well worth saving $50 a month...

Anybody else try this? Anyone need help with this?
I have a skype account. I have a 1 year subscription to make calls but I did not buy an online number. Is it necessary to have the online number to us Fring?

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I believe you have to get JB app that trick app to think it's wifi even though it's on 3G.

I was really thinking to try on the app, so I can use fring to call Japan whever I am (with WiFi and 3G)...

However, I also read some article about getting HUGE bills if ATT ever found you do that.. supposedly, they say stuff about that on ATT term &condition...

So, I guess I'm too chicken to even try to use the app.:sick::sick:

Feb 5, 2009
Redmond, WA
Wifi hack

I recently tried the cydia app that provides the hack to trick Fring and other such programs into thinking that it's actually on WiFi and not on 3G, but it didn't work and made my phone really unstable. Perhaps that's due to a needed update to the program. I'm currently using 2.2.1 on ATT, so that may have something to do with it. I couldn't get fring to call out even when I was on WiFi though, and yes, I do have a Skype account. I've pretty much given up on the idea because of these minor problems, as well as the fact brought up previously. If AT&T does discover you're using skype as a work around to avoid using your contracted minutes, they will bill you for the data used. Probably not worth the risk. I'm generally around my laptop anyway, and can skype from there with no problems, so it's not especially necessary in my case, though would be convenient.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Anime - to make VoiPover3G work you also must have Moibliesubstrate from Cydia installed.