Making/Receiving calls while on EDGE?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
Someone told me that voice communications is not possible when using EDGE which means any incoming calls while the iPhone is checking email or doing whatever else it does go to voicemail. I tried disabling Wifi and doing some surfing/youtubing and sure enough calls to my phone didn't even ring and went straight to voicemail.

Others who have tried it say they were able to receive calls just fine while on EDGE. I could have sworn my last phone had no probs receiving calls while on EDGE. Others have said it depends on the tower you are connected to.

Anyone know the definitive on whether calls could be made/received while on EDGE and what affects it?

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
EDGE uses the phone line for faster speeds. So if you are sending or receiving EDGE data at the same time someone tries to call you then yes it will send it directly to VM. Thats one of the diff's between EDGE and EVDO.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Someone told me that voice communications is not possible when using EDGE which means any incoming calls while the iPhone is checking email or doing whatever else it does go to voicemail. I tried disabling Wifi and doing some surfing/youtubing and sure enough calls to my phone didn't even ring and went straight to voicemail.

Others who have tried it say they were able to receive calls just fine while on EDGE. I could have sworn my last phone had no probs receiving calls while on EDGE. Others have said it depends on the tower you are connected to.

Anyone know the definitive on whether calls could be made/received while on EDGE and what affects it?
For the iPhone? EDGE will temporarily block any incoming/outgoing voice calls. Incoming will go directly to voicemail. I believe this is true for all of ATT network, not just the iPhone.

Technically, the implementation of EDGE can allow for "priority" to be assigned to Voice calls, in effect allowing incoming or outgoing voice calls to put EDGE on "hold", until the voice call is complete. I don't believe any carriers in the US implement this, but can't say for sure one way or the other.

I'd guess Apple mandated this for a couple reasons: Visual voicemail uses EDGE to notify of a new message, and to download it. Technically, a voice call could take priority, and block that voicemail notification for quite a while. Also, Apple has heavily stressed the wireless/multimedia features of the iPhone, and they probably wanted that feature to take precidence.

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
Ok i've confirmed with two other people that when they are surfing on EDGE, and a call comes in, they get a popup telling them about the call. I do not. Why is this?

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Ok i've confirmed with two other people that when they are surfing on EDGE, and a call comes in, they get a popup telling them about the call. I do not. Why is this?
The call only goes directly to voicemail while EDGE is ACTIVELY transferring data. If they aren't actually downloading/uploading data at the moment of the call, then the call will go through.

Example: You have Safari open, you download a page, and start to read it. Call comes in, it will ring the phone. While reading that page, you click a link that opens a large page with heavy graphics. While the page is still downloading, a call comes in. It will NOT ring the phone, but will do directly to voicemail.

There's nothing wrong with your phone, it is working as intended. Anyone that says they can receive calls while EDGE is transferring data on the iPhone is WRONG.

macmanx1

Sep 10, 2007
Western Hemisphere, USA
There's nothing wrong with your phone, it is working as intended. Anyone that says they can receive calls while EDGE is transferring data on the iPhone is WRONG.
You are absolutely correct when this scenario applies to the iPhone as mine functions in the same way you describe. However this is due to the design of the iPhone. Apple chose the protocol. Other phone mfgs have the same choice to use either one of two setups. The one that Apple uses, or the one that RIM (Research In Motion) uses on their BlackBerry's.

RIM has chosen to configure their smart phones in a way that allows the phone call to be received, during which the data stream is simply cut back to a slower rate. This way one has the best of both worlds. This was first implemented with the EDGE network. Going forward the new 3G BlackBerrys will allow the call to go through as well as the data without reducing the data stream. Thereby the transfer rate will not be slowed and download time will be the same regardless if one is on the phone or not.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
You are absolutely correct when this scenario applies to the iPhone as mine functions in the same way you describe. However this is due to the design of the iPhone. Apple chose the protocol. Other phone mfgs have the same choice to use either one of two setups. The one that Apple uses, or the one that RIM (Research In Motion) uses on their BlackBerry's.

RIM has chosen to configure their smart phones in a way that allows the phone call to be received, during which the data stream is simply cut back to a slower rate. This way one has the best of both worlds. This was first implemented with the EDGE network. Going forward the new 3G BlackBerrys will allow the call to go through as well as the data without reducing the data stream. Thereby the transfer rate will not be slowed and download time will be the same regardless if one is on the phone or not.
Actually, this is the CARRIER's configuration, not the phone's. It utilitzes a Priority setting for Voice vs Data and how channels are allocated. If Voice has Priority set, it will drop data connection for calls, if Data has Priority (or no specific value is configured) then Data will grab all channels available to it, up to 4, leaving none free for Voice.

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
So are we saying AT&T does NOT have priority set for voice? Meaning if you are on EDGE and actively transferring data, a voice call will not come through unless your transfer has completed?

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
So are we saying AT&T does NOT have priority set for voice? Meaning if you are on EDGE and actively transferring data, a voice call will not come through unless your transfer has completed?
That is correct (and has been mentioned and confirmed multiple times here in the forums and other places).

If you are ACTIVELY downloading data over EDGE, any incoming voice calls will go directly to voicemail.

Jul 12, 2007
That is correct (and has been mentioned and confirmed multiple times here in the forums and other places).

If you are ACTIVELY downloading data over EDGE, any incoming voice calls will go directly to voicemail.
If this is a carrier setting, has anyone called AT&T to see if this can be changed within the account profile? Much like I can change how many rings/time before calls are sent to voicemail?

Lee

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
If this is a carrier setting, has anyone called AT&T to see if this can be changed within the account profile? Much like I can change how many rings/time before calls are sent to voicemail?

Lee
It's not that kind of Carrier setting :) This is set on a tower by tower basis. I'd never heard of it being set on a per device manufacturer before, but that's apparently what's happened here, since the iPhone operates differently than other devices on ATTs network does.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Believe me or not I have tried hundred times now while surfing the web or watching videos on youtube, I can still receive the phone calls no matter what. I tried the same with different towers, even in Austin and San Antonio. Receiving calls while on EDGE just works fine for me and I don't know how.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Believe me or not I have tried hundred times now while surfing the web or watching videos on youtube, I can still receive the phone calls no matter what. I tried the same with different towers, even in Austin and San Antonio. Receiving calls while on EDGE just works fine for me and I don't know how.
I was in both Austin and San Antonio with my iPhone and never experienced that.

What is much more likely is that you had Safari open when you received a call, but it was not actually downloading at the time (very common). And YouTube will download and buffer the video as fast as possible so it's quite possible to be watching a video and still receive a call. None of this means you are receiving calls when EDGE is activly downloading (assuming you actually used YouTube via EDGE--that alone is kinda hard to believe :p).

--
Mike

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It is a network signaling setting.

When you're downloading data, the tower sends it in frames over data timeslots. During that time, the phone cannot listen for the usual incoming call page in the normal signaling timeslot.

One way around this is to set the tower mode to NOM-1 (Network Operation Mode). (When you enter the code to see the Field Test screens, the NOM setting for each tower will be visible to you.)

Under NOM-1, and for Class B phones like this one, the incoming ring signal can be copied to the data channel in use. This lets a properly programmed phone notice the ring during a data download, and give the user an opportunity to abort and go to the call.

But Apple sees the iPhone as an iPod first, and a phone second. Otherwise they and ATT could've set things up differently.

For light reading:

http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/standards/symbianongprs.html

http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2007/03/deep_inside_the.html

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
In Cleveland, OH... while I'm on EDGE my calls go directly to voice mail. Even after I close Safari the page seems to be active and my calls continue to go to voice mail. I had to power the phone off then my calls went through. So, does EDGE continue to have priority over voice while a page is open? In that case how do you "close" a web page?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I was in both Austin and San Antonio with my iPhone and never experienced that.

What is much more likely is that you had Safari open when you received a call, but it was not actually downloading at the time (very common). And YouTube will download and buffer the video as fast as possible so it's quite possible to be watching a video and still receive a call. None of this means you are receiving calls when EDGE is activly downloading (assuming you actually used YouTube via EDGE--that alone is kinda hard to believe :p).

--
Mike
The safari was open and I accessed CNN.com & Apple.com and made calls to myself. In fact, I just opened Safari and punched in CNN.com. It takes its own sweet time to load the website as it is loaded with graphics and pictures. I called my cell from my home phone and I received the call.

I restarted my phone and opened Apple.com on Safari and I called myself again to make sure I wasn't wrong. Guess what I received the call.

When I am in my office on break, I access websites to check whats going on in the world and I have received calls while I was doing this. I know this sounds weird; however, I myself don't understand how this is possible.

FYI, I am on NOM2. I am :confused: .

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Weird... I tried and called it from my home phone. The home phone played the ringing signal, while the iPhone did not. After I left a voicemail I hit the home button (After being on Safari) and the phone did not show that anybody had called. The voicemail showed up a minute later.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Weird... I tried and called it from my home phone. The home phone played the ringing signal, while the iPhone did not. After I left a voicemail I hit the home button (After being on Safari) and the phone did not show that anybody had called. The voicemail showed up a minute later.
I know its just weird. The other funny part is that, this is my second iPhone, as the original one had dead pixels and was getting really hot. That one as well did the same thing and I was receiving calls while I was on EDGE. I have to believe that my SIM has to do something wiith all this. Not sure.