Making Ringtones using your P.C., iTunes, and existing songs.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
O.K. I just saw this on iRovr and searched for it here but didn't find anything. So I figured I would post is over here and credit the guy who posted it over there. So I found this over on iRovr posted by iRobert. Try this out and see how it works for you!

Using only iTunes! Follow my easy instructions, btw this is for pc users only!
You may want to have this page open while your creating your own...

1. Open control panel on windows, (usually its under the start menu)

2. Switch to classic view and select folder options

3. Click the view tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types."

4. Opening iTunes, select the song you would like to use, right click/get info and select the options tab to find the start/end times

5. Change the start and end times to make a 30 second portion of the song. And then play the song to make sure that's the portion you want for a ringtone.

6. Right click on the song and convert to AAC

7. Drag the new 30 sec long song to your desktop (I used the ringtone folder in iTunes instead because I didn't want to clutter my desktop)and rename .m4a to .m4r (if you use the desktop like iRobert suggested it would have to stay there in order to be located, thats why I changed it to the ringtones folder. I would suggest doing it this way, so you can keep your iTunes in order.)

8. Make sure you delete the 30 second song out of your music library... B4 continuing

9. Doubleclick the new .m4r file on your desktop 100% free ringtone! Now sync your phone...

10. Go back to the original song, right click, get info, change the song length back to it original length. If you don't do this your song will only be 30 seconds long next time you listen to it.

This has only been tested by me, on iTunes 7.6 and 1.1.3 software.

That was pretty much pasted, but I have tried this as well and it works. Enjoy.......you deserve it!

Jan 30, 2008
does the song automatically go to the ringtone list in iTunes cause its not doin that for me.

Once you create the .m4r file and have it in the directory you plan to permanently keep it in, simply double click on it. iTunes will then take it in and it will be added to your ringtone pool.

Jan 30, 2008
yes it says its a ringtone and appears as a protected aac file iTunes but doest go to the ringtone folder on iTunes

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I was going to let this thread die because I found one with a similar method posted in this forum.Before I posted all this I searched to see if there was anything on this, but I must not have used good keywords because later I found that KNK had posted the same basic steps but he used a free program called audacity to prepare the clips. Now I am using this program also because it allows you to fade in or out making the clip sound better. It adds a few more steps and another program but you can do it for free either way. This all started because the song I wanted as a ringtone was not offered by iTunes. Does anyone know if there is a way to share these newly made ringtones on this forum? Kind of like the wallpapers?

So I also need to give proper credit to KNK cause he already posted this method here. Link.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
yes it says its a ringtone and appears as a protected aac file iTunes but doest go to the ringtone folder on iTunes
When you double click the icon it doesn't play in iTunes? If you follow the steps exactly it should work. Make the clip longer than 30 seconds, or forget to delete the AAC conversion you created and it won't work.

Jan 30, 2008
when i click on it it plays in iTunes but doesn't show up in the ringtone folder. Im following the direction, maybe have something with my version of iTunes? it like 7.4.3.1 but if i download the newest will it mess up my current music library?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
when i click on it it plays in iTunes but doesn't show up in the ringtone folder. Im following the direction, maybe have something with my version of iTunes? it like 7.4.3.1 but if i download the newest will it mess up my current music library?

No. Everything will stay the same.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Does anyone know if there is a way to share these newly made ringtones on this forum? Kind of like the wallpapers?

So I also need to give proper credit to KNK cause he already posted this method here. Link.
Another member did a ton of ringtones to be shared. He posted his on a web page. That's about the only way I know of to do it. Can you put music in a zip file? If so I guess you could do that and post right here as an attachment.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I don't think your version of iTunes is causing problems but let me check. I'm running 7.6.0.29. I think as long as your iTunes has a ringtones section this should work. Updating your iTunes should not mess up your library. BTW I don't know how true this is but someone said that music downloaded from iTunes does not work when you try to make a ringtone.

Jan 30, 2008
hmm i really don't kno what im doin wrong but thanks for all your help hopefully ill figure it out

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
BTW I don't know how true this is but someone said that music downloaded from iTunes does not work when you try to make a ringtone.
I have also hear that, but I don't buy music from iTunes so this is just a rumor. But if you hear it too maybe there is something to it.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I tried to attach a ringtone as a zip but it was still too large to attach. I'm gonna try something else though.

Jan 30, 2008
Well that worked as far as it showing up in my iTunes and in my Ringtones list but it cant be played on my computer because i need a password for it so its gotta be something im doing wrong. Was that a song u bought off of iTunes?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Well that worked as far as it showing up in my iTunes and in my Ringtones list but it cant be played on my computer because i need a password for it so its gotta be something im doing wrong. Was that a song u bought off of iTunes?
Yes that was the one that I had purchased from iTunes. I'm still boggled that this method does not work for you. Has anyone else tried this method and failed?

Jan 30, 2008
Yes that was the one that I had purchased from iTunes. I'm still boggled that this method does not work for you. Has anyone else tried this method and failed?
me too im gonna give it another go...

Ok this is really bugging me..Tried it again and nothing. The file is labeled as a ringtone and shows up protected aac file but does not show up in the iTunes ringtone list. when u delete the first 30 second file do u keep files or move to recycle bin?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
me too im gonna give it another go...

Ok this is really bugging me..Tried it again and nothing. The file is labeled as a ringtone and shows up protected aac file but does not show up in the iTunes ringtone list. when u delete the first 30 second file do u keep files or move to recycle bin?
After you drag the file to the location, you delete it from iTunes and send it to the recycle bin. After you delete the 30 second clip you created in iTunes, and the file you dragged to your location has been renamed to .m4r and shows up as a ringtone, you double click it and it should open up and play in iTunes. In the ringtones section. Keep me informed.