Making Ringtones using your P.C., iTunes, and existing songs.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Works like a charm for me - THANK YOU! I'm outie...I have ringtones to create...:cool:

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
BTW I don't know how true this is but someone said that music downloaded from iTunes does not work when you try to make a ringtone.
I'm finding this to be true as I'm creating ringtones; the songs I downloaded from iTunes cannot be converted, but the songs I added independently work.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If you are finding it easy to make the ringtones you might try to use the free program Audacity to create the clip. I found I liked it better because you could create a "fade out" so it sounded professional. The only problem I have now is finding songs that would make good ringtones!

JW22

Jan 21, 2008
Someone else had this up somewhere as well, but I just went through and tried this and it worked great. Thanks!

Quick question. Once I've double clicked and it shows up in ring tones, can I delete them from my desktop?

ajsigma

Feb 2, 2008
After you drag the file to the location, you delete it from iTunes and send it to the recycle bin. After you delete the 30 second clip you created in iTunes, and the file you dragged to your location has been renamed to .m4r and shows up as a ringtone, you double click it and it should open up and play in iTunes. In the ringtones section. Keep me informed.
I recently bought an iPhone 1.1.3, 3 days ago, and I have iTunes 7.6.0.29. I performed your steps according to your instruction, but once I double click my ringtone file (.m4r) (which is in a separate folder), supposedly it is to appear in my iTunes ringtone folder, but it doesn't. I have the ringtone in 25 seconds and in .m4r.

I also dragged the ringtone file to the ringtone folder of my iTunes, but once again, the ringtone file does not show up. :oops: I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I recently bought an iPhone 1.1.3, 3 days ago, and I have iTunes 7.6.0.29. I performed your steps according to your instruction, but once I double click my ringtone file (.m4r) (which is in a separate folder), supposedly it is to appear in my iTunes ringtone folder, but it doesn't. I have the ringtone in 25 seconds and in .m4r.

I also dragged the ringtone file to the ringtone folder of my iTunes, but once again, the ringtone file does not show up. :oops: I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for your help.
did you make sure to delete the converted file you created after dropping the file in the folder? I followed the steps late last night and it wasn't going well for me. I woke up this morning and tried again step by step and it worked. There must be something simple that is keeping the file from showing properly. Something easily overlooked.

ajsigma

Feb 2, 2008
did you make sure to delete the converted file you created after dropping the file in the folder? I followed the steps late last night and it wasn't going well for me. I woke up this morning and tried again step by step and it worked. There must be something simple that is keeping the file from showing properly. Something easily overlooked.

Yes I deleted the converted file I created after I dropped the file in the folder. It still does not work for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I'll try again in the morning.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Yes I deleted the converted file I created after I dropped the file in the folder. It still does not work for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I'll try again in the morning.
SoCalDrifta was having some problems and he had to re-install iTunes before it would work. If you try the steps again and have no luck there might be some problem with your iTunes.

devilsmaster

Nov 20, 2007
Its great idea to make new ring tones yourself,I have never tried this.I m going to do this.Thanks a lot.

I found that there are some songs purchased from iTunes that won't let you convert to an aac file. But then there are some others that I purchased from iTunes convert to an aac file with no issue. (Glamorous by Fergie wouldn't, Lucky One by Allison Krauss would). But most of the iTunes purchased songs won't convert.

Of course, for iTunes purchased songs that wouldn't convert I could always create a CD and then import that CD to get a non-proprietary version of the song that I could then create into a ring tone. But what a waste of time (and perfectly good blank CD's). So I found a program that converts iTunes files to MP3. I figured that I paid for the song, am not sharing it (giving or selling it) with other people, so I can do with it what I want for personal use.

ajsigma

Feb 2, 2008
SoCalDrifta was having some problems and he had to re-install iTunes before it would work. If you try the steps again and have no luck there might be some problem with your iTunes.

Well I woke up this morning and re-installed iTunes. Apparently, SoCalDrifta has better luck than me. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and performed the same procedure on your instructions. Again, the ringtone (.m4r) won't appear on the iTunes ringtone menu even after I followed all your steps correctly.

I'm not saying that your steps has flaws, maybe it just doesn't like me. I really wish I knew what's going on with this. Sorry to have troubled you. Thank you for your help and consideration.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Someone else had this up somewhere as well, but I just went through and tried this and it worked great. Thanks!

Quick question. Once I've double clicked and it shows up in ring tones, can I delete them from my desktop?
No, because when you double click from your desktop iTunes maps it to that location so whenever you go to play it after you delete it, it would be gone. That is why I drag them to the ringtones folder in iTunes and double click from there. If you cant find that folder I can help you do that.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Well I woke up this morning and re-installed iTunes. Apparently, SoCalDrifta has better luck than me. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and performed the same procedure on your instructions. Again, the ringtone (.m4r) won't appear on the iTunes ringtone menu even after I followed all your steps correctly.

I'm not saying that your steps has flaws, maybe it just doesn't like me. I really wish I knew what's going on with this. Sorry to have troubled you. Thank you for your help and consideration.
Its hard telling a small mistake can cause the ringtone to not work. But there have been a couple other people who have had some problems so its not just you. Early in this thread there is a link to a different thread with a method close to this one. Maybe you should try it to see if it works for you! good luck!:laugh2:

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
O.K. I just saw this on iRovr and searched for it here but didn't find anything. So I figured I would post is over here and credit the guy who posted it over there. So I found this over on iRovr posted by iRobert. Try this out and see how it works for you!

Using only iTunes! Follow my easy instructions, btw this is for pc users only!
You may want to have this page open while your creating your own...

1. Open control panel on windows, (usually its under the start menu)

2. Switch to classic view and select folder options

3. Click the view tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types."

4. Opening iTunes, select the song you would like to use, right click/get info and select the options tab to find the start/end times

5. Change the start and end times to make a 30 second portion of the song. And then play the song to make sure that's the portion you want for a ringtone.

6. Right click on the song and convert to AAC

7. Drag the new 30 sec long song to your desktop (I used the ringtone folder in iTunes instead because I didn't want to clutter my desktop)and rename .m4a to .m4r (if you use the desktop like iRobert suggested it would have to stay there in order to be located, thats why I changed it to the ringtones folder. I would suggest doing it this way, so you can keep your iTunes in order.)

8. Make sure you delete the 30 second song out of your music library... B4 continuing

9. Doubleclick the new .m4r file on your desktop 100% free ringtone! Now sync your phone...

10. Go back to the original song, right click, get info, change the song length back to it original length. If you don't do this your song will only be 30 seconds long next time you listen to it.

This has only been tested by me, on iTunes 7.6 and 1.1.3 software.

That was pretty much pasted, but I have tried this as well and it works. Enjoy.......you deserve it!
awesome..works like a charm, thanks man!

edidos

Feb 5, 2008
I posted this question in another thread, but no one replied.

I created different ringtones (10 of them) and I am able to see them in iTunes and also in my iPhone ringtone folder. But when I try to select a ringtone in my phone, one of the ringtones is copied 10 times with the same name.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong when creating the ringtones?

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
for some reason i cant get them from the ringtones section to my iPhone correctly. heres an example of what is happening:

i have the ringtones "Boom Snap Clap Snap" and "GLADOS im not talking to you" in my ringtones section of my iTunes.

i drag them over to my iPhone.

then in my ringtones section, theres 2 of the same ringtone, but not one of the other. like

Custom
Boom snap clap snap
Boom snap clap snap

how do i fix this? anyone have any ideas?

also for some reason other ones i copy will work fine and not act like the same, and also under my ringtones section of my iPhone, everything is correct.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I posted this question in another thread, but no one replied.

I created different ringtones (10 of them) and I am able to see them in iTunes and also in my iPhone ringtone folder. But when I try to select a ringtone in my phone, one of the ringtones is copied 10 times with the same name.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong when creating the ringtones?
Sorry......I have no idea. Are you using the method in this post to create the ringtones?