Making Ringtones using your P.C., iTunes, and existing songs.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
for some reason i cant get them from the ringtones section to my iPhone correctly. heres an example of what is happening:

i have the ringtones "Boom Snap Clap Snap" and "GLADOS im not talking to you" in my ringtones section of my iTunes.

i drag them over to my iPhone.

then in my ringtones section, theres 2 of the same ringtone, but not one of the other. like

Custom
Boom snap clap snap
Boom snap clap snap

how do i fix this? anyone have any ideas?

also for some reason other ones i copy will work fine and not act like the same, and also under my ringtones section of my iPhone, everything is correct.
You drag them over to the iPhone? I don't think you need to drag them to the iPhone. If they are in the rintones section, they sync from there. So when you plug in your phone and come to the iPhone sync screen, you select the tab for the ringtones, and select which you want from there(I just sync all ringtones right now cause I only have 20 or so.) If you are dragging the ringtone into your playlist, it will just be in your phones song list. Am I understanding your problem correctly? It sounds familiar to the problem edidos is having.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
You drag them over to the iPhone? I don't think you need to drag them to the iPhone. If they are in the rintones section, they sync from there. So when you plug in your phone and come to the iPhone sync screen, you select the tab for the ringtones, and select which you want from there(I just sync all ringtones right now cause I only have 20 or so.) If you are dragging the ringtone into your playlist, it will just be in your phones song list. Am I understanding your problem correctly? It sounds familiar to the problem edidos is having.
I have my iPhone set to manually manage songs/videos, so the only way I know I can put them on without disabling manual syncing is by dragging. I'll probably try syncing that way to see if it makes a difference.

sportychick

Bronze
Nov 18, 2007
Georgia
looks like your going to have to teach your hubby a few things now

LOL I already did last night- he was quite pissed that he has griped for 2 months about having no custom ringtones and then I get my phone and less than 24 hours later I am plenty of them! LOL

I told him that maybe he needs to spend more time reading on these boards! hehehehe:p

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
LOL I already did last night- he was quite pissed that he has griped for 2 months about having no custom ringtones and then I get my phone and less than 24 hours later I am plenty of them! LOL
Oh, you could have aaaaalllll kinds of fun with this now...offer to load some custom ringtones on his phone for him, and then assign some very questionable ones...call him in the middle of a businesss meeting... :p
Bad me, bad BAD me!

SoleAddict23

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
tried it and once i restarted my phone, went to settings to change my ringtone, it's still not there. =/

on iTunes, it shows under ringtone, synced it and everything. still nothing. what am i doing wrong?

ALSO, when i've synced in music, and restart my iPhone, still nothing as well. reads under ipod section "no music". help please!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
tried it and once i restarted my phone, went to settings to change my ringtone, it's still not there. =/

on iTunes, it shows under ringtone, synced it and everything. still nothing. what am i doing wrong?

ALSO, when i've synced in music, and restart my iPhone, still nothing as well. reads under ipod section "no music". help please!
play the ringtone and make sure it is shorter than 30 seconds.

darayush

Feb 19, 2008
Wow, you guys are awesome. However, I was able to get it done all the way to placing it in my Ringtones section of iTunes, But I am not able to sync it to my phone. I may have overlooked someone else asking the same thing so I apologise.

Does anyone have a solution for that. My phone version is 1.02(1C28)
That's the only difference I see.
Thank you

duccati998

Feb 19, 2008
!

i've been reading all the reply post. i still can't drag the file to ringtone icon in iTunes. do i have to unchecked the hidden file thing? for some reason i can't find that option. i've checked under view tap in control panel and under tools also. i don't see anything about folder option.

darayush

Feb 19, 2008
i've been reading all the reply post. i still can't drag the file to ringtone icon in iTunes. do i have to unchecked the hidden file thing? for some reason i can't find that option. i've checked under view tap in control panel and under tools also. i don't see anything about folder option.
Once you made the m4r file just double click the file and it will be placed in your Ringtone section of your iTunes.

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
I'm having a similar problem that other people are having. create the m4r file with iTunes (ACC conversion) then I rename it to m4a. I delete the song sent to iTunes from garageband and the converted song from the iTunes music library (I keep the files when it asks to send them to trash) Then I double click the m4r file, it shows up in the iTunes ringtone folder. I connect my iPhone and select the ringtone to sync and it doesn't show up in my ringtone section. I know other people are having similar problems but was just wondering if anyone sees an error in the steps I'm doing. BTW, the ringtone is less than 30 seconds.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If you place the file directly in the ringtone folder, double click on it from there and verify that it plays the 30 second or shorter ringtone. And If you keep the converted sound clip that may be the problem. I really am not sure why you would want to keep a partial song anyway. Make sure you delete the 30 second converted file and send to recycle bin. Play around a bit and if you find what was causing the issue please post it for everyone. It has to be something simple because I don't believe there has been a software change to thwart it yet!

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
If you place the file directly in the ringtone folder, double click on it from there and verify that it plays the 30 second or shorter ringtone. And If you keep the converted sound clip that may be the problem. I really am not sure why you would want to keep a partial song anyway. Make sure you delete the 30 second converted file and send to recycle bin. Play around a bit and if you find what was causing the issue please post it for everyone. It has to be something simple because I don't believe there has been a software change to thwart it yet!
I tried several today, and as soon as I click on the ringtone, it plays the whole song from the beginning. :oops: I am using iTunes 7.6.1.9, don't know if thats why?

darayush

Feb 19, 2008
None of those resolved my SYNC issue. I just don't understand why it is in my library but would not sync with my Phone.

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Conan's method is the one that worked for me
This method is my interpretation of Conan's. It's the exact same thing but explain differently. Some people might need a certain instruction explained differently, so I explain here Conans ring tone creation process.

1. Select song you want to cut in iTunes
2. click the "Get Info" button under the "File" tab
3. click the "options tab" ->set the stop start time (remember to keep the total time under 30 seconds"->click "Ok"
4. Now click Advanced->convert selection to ACC
THIS IS WHERE MANY CAN EASILY GET CONFUSED (I know because I did)
5. the 30 second clip will appear under the full length track after the conversion and it will have the same name
-to make things easier type the name of the song in the search bar in the top right hand corner of iTunes so only the two tracks show up
6. drag the 30 second clip (from iTunes) into your ringtone folder (don't confuse this with an iTunes playlist)
7. single click the file in it's new location, click again, now change the ending from .m4a to .m4r
-you'll be asked to use .m4r or .m4a, obviously go with the former
8. go back into iTunes and delete the 30 second clip. When iTunes asks, delete it to the trash (important)
9. double click the newly created .m4r file in the ringtone folder, it should open in the ringtones playlist in iTunes.
10. connect iPhone and sync, enjoy.
-remember to uncheck the start and stop times of the original mp3

I wrote this because I was having difficulty with the garageband method for some reason.

rix617

Feb 12, 2008
Ok I understand the steps pretty clearly I think however when I right click any song it does not give me the option to convert to aac, all it says is convert to mp3, also under the advanced menu its the same. Im using iTunes 7.6.1.9

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Ok I understand the steps pretty clearly I think however when I right click any song it does not give me the option to convert to aac, all it says is convert to mp3, also under the advanced menu its the same. Im using iTunes 7.6.1.9

Hey Rix, go into your iTunes preferences->Advanced->Importing
Under "import using", change it to AAC enconder.
Should be set to go after this.