Making Ringtones !

X

xdamxincx

whats the deal i buy a song off i tunes to try and make a ringtone and the dang song is not ringtone makable ? i purchased duffle bag boy song lil wayne is the artist... i have other songs from my ipod that i put into my i tune music and i cant make a ring tone out of any of those either .. what gives @@@@

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If it doesn't show that little bell next to it, you can't make a ringtone out of it.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
In the UK you can't make ringtones from DRM'd iTunes files. And we don't get the little bell thing either , sniff.

I would burn the track to a CD, Rip it back into iTunes and then make a ringtone out of it in the usual way.

I always buy tracks un-DRM'd where it's available, not sure if that's an option everywhere.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
In the UK you can't make ringtones from DRM'd iTunes files. And we don't get the little bell thing either , sniff.

I would burn the track to a CD, Rip it back into iTunes and then make a ringtone out of it in the usual way.

I always buy tracks un-DRM'd where it's available, not sure if that's an option everywhere.
What is the "usual way"? Assuming it's an iPhone, the only other way I know to get ringtones on the phone is via some sort of hack (or 3rd party program that hacks for you). If you're trying to get a ringtone on the phone via Apple's way, you have to use the newest Garageband or, buy the song from iTunes and use the integrated ringtone maker, if the song is eligible...

You don't have that in the UK? That sucks... :oops:

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
What is the "usual way"? Assuming it's an iPhone, the only other way I know to get ringtones on the phone is via some sort of hack (or 3rd party program that hacks for you). If you're trying to get a ringtone on the phone via Apple's way, you have to use the newest Garageband or, buy the song from iTunes and use the integrated ringtone maker, if the song is eligible...

You don't have that in the UK? That sucks... :oops:
You can right-click on any song, track, whatever in iTunes:

Get info - Options, set the start and end time (30 seconds between the two!)
convert the track to AAC
Find the resulting 30 second .m4a file - Rename that to .m4r
Then put that .m4r file into the ringtones folder

tadaaaaaa

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

convert the track to AAC

tadaaaaaa
I thought that workaround was fixed by Apple? No? I did that for another tone and when it went to sync it told me the file was incompatible.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
There are quite a lot of folk doing it this way. A search for Thunderbirds here will turn up a ringtones I made thhis way. See if it works

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
i used audicity but it takes about 10 minutes worth of work to get what you want and tweak it..

X

xdamxincx

convert the track to AAC

tadaaaaaa

i got that far cept it wont drop into the ringtone folder.. what am i doing wrong

X

xdamxincx

ok i figured it out.. now how many ringtones am i allowed to place on my phone because its only allowing me to put one in there.. when i try another it just swaps it out . thanks this far tho guys ! this site rocks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ok i figured it out.. now how many ringtones am i allowed to place on my phone because its only allowing me to put one in there.. when i try another it just swaps it out . thanks this far tho guys ! this site rocks

I think it is 30 or 35 total

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
really I thought we would be able to add as many ringtones as long as there is enough memory left on phone

Rottluver

Jun 22, 2009
What did you figure out? How can I use the ringtone feature as well? I don't live int he UK and still cant get it to work......this is my first day w/an iPhone

Thanks in advance

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009

convert the track to AAC

tadaaaaaa
I believe this is the procedure you are describing: http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-create-free-iphone-ringtones-using-itunes-in-windows/

I still believe you can only make ringtones out of DRM-free music. I have a lot of music in my iTunes that I cannot make ringtones out of because it will not allow it. This is a great article explaining how to make ringtones from DRM-free song files.