Making ringtones

cotoole

Sep 16, 2007
Is there still a way to make ringtones without hacking? If so can someone please give me a brief step by step way of doing it. I was thinking of making the knight rider theme a ringtone. Please consider I am using the latest version of iTunes and the latest version firmware.

Thanks in advance.

budsbava

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
Here's the process mate:

Custom Ringtones for your iPhone:

These are the steps I take to get my custom ringtones:

1. Choose any .mp3 song you got.

2. Crop it down to 30 seconds with an Audio Editing program. (I use Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition)

3. Load the cropped down version of the mp3(song) in iTunes.

4. Right-Click on the file in iTunes.

5. Click on "Covert selection to ACC". (After the conversion is done, it will start playing.)

6. Right-Click on that file, and click on "Show in Windows Explorer".

7. Rename the extension of that file from "m4a" to "m4r".

8. Simply double-click on the file you just renamed and it will automatically be loaded onto the ringtones library in iTunes.

9. Sync your iPhone.

10. Your done.

cotoole

Sep 16, 2007
Guess I should have also said that I have a Mac. I am assuming that it is basically the same thing. Thanks for your help.

MacHoe

Mar 4, 2008
Guess I should have also said that I have a Mac. I am assuming that it is basically the same thing. Thanks for your help.
hey ya..
try iToner, it works well on my mac :) it's a shareware but you can use it for a month before you need to buy it, i just created all the ringtones i like within that trial period

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
try going to www m4r.us has ringtones to choose from already in ringtone format

jreif

Aug 12, 2007
Here's the process mate:

Custom Ringtones for your iPhone:

These are the steps I take to get my custom ringtones:

1. Choose any .mp3 song you got.

2. Crop it down to 30 seconds with an Audio Editing program. (I use Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition)

3. Load the cropped down version of the mp3(song) in iTunes.

4. Right-Click on the file in iTunes.

5. Click on "Covert selection to ACC". (After the conversion is done, it will start playing.)

6. Right-Click on that file, and click on "Show in Windows Explorer".

7. Rename the extension of that file from "m4a" to "m4r".

8. Simply double-click on the file you just renamed and it will automatically be loaded onto the ringtones library in iTunes.

9. Sync your iPhone.

10. Your done.
I did this process some time ago and it worked great. Then iPhone had one of the earlier updates and the update took away the ability to do this. I never tried again thinking it was just gone. Have you tried this recently?
Thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you have garageband '08, you can use that. It even sends the tone to iTunes when you are finished making it. Does everything for you. All you have to do is sync the phone.

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
is there any easy way to make ringtone clips from any song w/in iTunes? I once had the aac>mp3 converter but wonder if there is something quicker and easier for use with the iPhone. Thanks

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Are you using a mac or pc? for a mac, I use garage band. For a PC, there are tutorials all over this website and youtube.

terrapin

Bronze
Aug 3, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, I saw that too - how do I change the file extensions to m4r?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Last edited by a moderator: