Malfunctioning home button wont let me unlock and jailbreak phone.

Peeekay

Dec 26, 2008
I recently acquired an unlocked iPhone 2g (1.1.1) with a malfunctioning home button ( it works when repeatedly pressed). I was trying to upgrade the software to 2.2 using quickpwn. I went into iTunes to restore and upgrade the phone to the 2.2 software. I then opened quickpwn and followed the directions. Everything worked fine till the end where it asked me to hold the power and home buttons. At the end I get an error message saying that "your device has connected in the wrong mode". After some research I discovered that it was a malfunction home button. I believe that my iPhone has trouble getting into DFU mode because of the home button issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can unlock/jailbreak my phone?

Thank you

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You're in the same situation as I - my home button is totally useless. I'm using a virtual home button (a toggle in SBsettings) to close apps, so I ever have to restore, I won't be able to jailbreak again. This is yet another reason that I say the Dev Team needs to stop using DFU mode as a crutch.

I'm not sure how to get around your problem. You could try iNdependence - it had the ability to kick devices into DFU - but I'm not sure if that will still function with the newer firmware series. It's worth a try, though. And if not, I'm afraid you just can't jailbreak and probably need to go pick up a new phone.

Peeekay

Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions but I finally got it to work. I kept at it for over an hour and got it in DFU mode by pressing the home button really hard with my thumb.

Thanks again

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for all the suggestions but I finally got it to work. I kept at it for over an hour and got it in DFU mode by pressing the home button really hard with my thumb.

Thanks again
Great you got it to work...but take care of the "rest" of this Home button...:)