Man I'm pissed about the headphone jack issue

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SingleDouble

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Apple releases the iPhone with an entirely same-looking earpiece hole which is ENTIRELY different from the normal one on every other ipod, and doesn't allow the ZILLIONS of people with third party headphones to actually use said hole without a stupid, crappy hard-to-get adaptor?

Man, that pisses me off. How about you?

I also HATE that the ipod-plug-into-car solution which works so seamlesslesly for my OTHER ipod (oh yes, bought 'em all Steve--didn't I spend enough?) doesn't work for the iPhone. Why why why why?

And the boards are littered with people who don't know how to get their iPhone to plug into their in-car stereo.

For all the love for the iPhone, lots of hate mixed in for me having to waste precious time figuring out a zillion things to make this thing actually worth the $600. Why complicate things for people? When will tech makers realize I don't have all day every day to figure out how to do simple things. argggh.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's a $10 adapter. Is that gonna break you? You can spend $100 for aftermarket headphones but $10 is too much. By Christmas every headset manufacturer will have iPhone compatible headsets.

As far as the car connection, this is completely different than anything they've offered before. This is a frickin radio. It's not gonna work with another radio the same way an ipod works.

SingleDouble

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
It's a $10 adapter. Is that gonna break you? You can spend $100 for aftermarket headphones but $10 is too much. By Christmas every headset manufacturer will have iPhone compatible headsets.

As far as the car connection, this is completely different than anything they've offered before. This is a frickin radio. It's not gonna work with another radio the same way an ipod works.
You don't get it. The question is why? Why did Apple need to complicate existing users lives with a jack hole that looks the same but is totally different? Have you read any of the unhappiness all over the web about this? Have you seen the $10 adaptor? It's like having a pencil attached to your iPhone.

As for your radio comment, wrong. I have a simple RCA jack that plugs into the car's aux. More than 5 million cars have this aux input designed specifically for the ipod. Now Steve says "ooops, sorry, we're changing the input, just because."

I love the iPhone, hate all the work I have to do to make it fit with my life.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You don't get it. The question is why? Why did Apple need to complicate existing users lives with a jack hole that looks the same but is totally different? Have you read any of the unhappiness all over the web about this? Have you seen the $10 adaptor? It's like having a pencil attached to your iPhone.

As for your radio comment, wrong. I have a simple RCA jack that plugs into the car's aux. More than 5 million cars have this aux input designed specifically for the ipod. Now Steve says "ooops, sorry, we're changing the input, just because."

I love the iPhone, hate all the work I have to do to make it fit with my life.
I get it. I understand you're unhappy, but with new technology must come new accessories. If you want aftermarket accessories, you'll have to either buy some new ones that are compatible or either go with the adapter. One adapter by the way is not the pencil looking thing. actually it is a flexible wire that doesn't even stick out farther than your normal headset plug.

As far as the car audio jack, what's he supposed to do. Call everybody at their house and make sure it works for every different size and shape. Nope.

quote]

I took a Dremmel tool to my cable...a piece of sandpaper, scissors or an exacto knife will work also.

Trim off about an 1/8 of an inch of the cable end and Voila! Problem solved.

No fuss, no muss, works again with the car stereo. :D

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Isn't it to accommodate the microphone built into the new earbuds?
Not really. I think they just wanted to maintain the lines on the edge of the phone. Of course the new aftermarket headsets will probably come with an inline mic. Doesn't make much sense to have an iPhone and not be able to answer an incoming call.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Isn't it to accommodate the microphone built into the new earbuds?
No, it's not. That is done by the hardware, itself.
Ever notice the little rings around the end of the plug on headphones?
Those are actually the spots where left and right audio are carried.
The left being the one closer to the end, the right being towards the top.
If you check your iPhone earphones, there are 3. One for the microphone.
I thought at first, they built it deeper, out of need for the longer plug. Not really the case, though...

Now, if you look at the physical "construction" of the iPhone, the edges are "rounded". Meaning, that if the headphone jack were flush to the end of the phone, it would probably make it a little vulnerable to wear and tear, and possibly even being snagged and popped loose from the body of the phone.
I'm just speculating at reasons for the way they chose to build it, at this point. I bought the Belkin adapter from the site, and I'm very happy with it.

By the way, for everyone that thinks the Belkin adapter is hard, it is actually flexible. Pics later.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I was not annoyed at all by this until I trimmed my iPhone headphones by accident. That is the danger of having 3 sets of white headphones in your desk drawer. I guess looking at them before I cut them would have been the good thing to do. Prior to cutting the ones that already fit I was not bothered. I just need to cut my ER 6i headphones now and I will be set.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
By the way, for everyone that thinks the Belkin adapter is hard, it is actually flexible. Pics later.
I don't care if it's flexible. It's a clunky solution. I have trouble enough with wired headphones tangling and coming unplugged. This adapter adds two additional weak points between my ears and the device. A2DP support would have solved everybody's problems with this issue. Plus an adapter is another $10 (minimum) they are fleecing out of our pockets. Sure it's only $10, but what, I'm supposed to be okay with giving someone $10?

The recessed jack was unnecessary. Why? Just to satisfy Apple's pride of "design".

Hey Jobs! Ever hear the phrase "form follows function?" Study it man.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering looking into modifying my iPhone so every headphone I buy in the future will fit. Why should I screw up my $300 perfectly designed headphones when the problem is the iPhone's design?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm SERIOUSLY considering looking into modifying my iPhone so every headphone I buy in the future will fit. Why should I screw up my $300 perfectly designed headphones when the problem is the iPhone's design?
Why should you (risk) screwing up your 600$ iPhone, when you can just buy a 10$ adapter? haha

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Now, if you look at the physical "construction" of the iPhone, the edges are "rounded". Meaning, that if the headphone jack were flush to the end of the phone, it would probably make it a little vulnerable to wear and tear, and possibly even being snagged and popped loose from the body of the phone.
I'm just speculating at reasons for the way they chose to build it
Actually you are spot on. This is the explanation I've heard.

Although perhaps it would have been nice to make the recessed opening wider, but then it wouldn't provide support and would look odd with all of the other Apple branded iPod buds.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Not really. I think they just wanted to maintain the lines on the edge of the phone. Of course the new aftermarket headsets will probably come with an inline mic. Doesn't make much sense to have an iPhone and not be able to answer an incoming call.
lol. No, they wanted to make an extra 10 dollars off of half the people buying the phone. Businesses are in businesss to MAKE MONEY, not to help you out.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Ummm....

It's a different jack THAN YOU iPOD but NOT different than many other cellphones out there. The 2.5mm jack on the iPhone is the popular size on LOTS of smartphones and cellphones, and compatible with bluetooth headsets.

They didn't do it to make you buy new headphones (duh, they included headphones with the iPhone)... they did it so people switching from ANOTHER CELLPHONE would have less issues with the headsets.

As for headphones for the iPod side, just get the adaptor ... or wait until the 3rd party companies start making stuff specifically for the iPhone.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Also, I think it should be noted that it's not an "issue".
It's only an issue to you. I use the earphones provided by Apple, and am very happy with them....especially for use during calls.
These are going to be perfect for me, as my iPhone's primary use of the iPod feature, is during workouts.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Also, I think it should be noted that it's not an "issue".
It's only an issue to you. I use the earphones provided by Apple, and am very happy with them....especially for use during calls.
These are going to be perfect for me, as my iPhone's primary use of the iPod feature, is during workouts.
When their headphones are the only ones that will work, it's an issue. A lot of people use a cassette adapter for their car, and that won't fit either. It's an issue because they did it on purpose to make even more money from the phone.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
When their headphones are the only ones that will work, it's an issue. A lot of people use a cassette adapter for their car, and that won't fit either. It's an issue because they did it on purpose to make even more money from the phone.
Uh, no, they didn't do it on purpose so you'd spend more money. Read my reply about and buy a $10 adaptor. Get over it.