Man I'm pissed about the headphone jack issue

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Uh, no, they didn't do it on purpose so you'd spend more money. Read my reply about and buy a $10 adaptor. Get over it.
Right. Since they're a businesss, money was no motivation for this "feature". Get real. How old are you, 15? They could have easily made the jack fit all headphones, but they didn't.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
When their headphones are the only ones that will work, it's an issue. A lot of people use a cassette adapter for their car, and that won't fit either. It's an issue because they did it on purpose to make even more money from the phone.
Once again, it's *your* issue.
I don't have any issue with them, at all.
Yes, I had to buy an adapter to use it with our stereo input in my friend's gym, but boo-hoo. 10$. So I eat out one less time, paid for.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Right. Since they're a businesss, money was no motivation for this "feature". Get real. How old are you, 15? They could have easily made the jack fit all headphones, but they didn't.
What are YOU 15? They made it the same as OTHER cellphones... so it would be compatible with bluetooth headsets. Considering many of those are purchased from 3rd party companies, it had NOTHING to do with trying to make more money. If they had made it ONLY compatible with Apple products maybe I could agree with you, but you're just being stupid over a $10 adaptor.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
What are YOU 15? They made it the same as OTHER cellphones... so it would be compatible with bluetooth headsets. Considering many of those are purchased from 3rd party companies, it had NOTHING to do with trying to make more money. If they had made it ONLY compatible with Apple products maybe I could agree with you, but you're just being stupid over a $10 adaptor.
An adapter he probably didn't even buy! Jesus christ! Who cares?!?! If you don't' want it, and don't like it, then don't buy it!
If you don't like the iPhone because of it, return it! Or sell it!

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Like I said, it could have been designed to fit more head phones, but it wasn't. End of story.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
It's not an "issue". It doesn't cause any "problem". With everything included with every single iPhone sold, every feature of the phone and iPod work JUST FINE.
Hmm, if there was no issue or problem, what purpose did the adapter you purchased serve? Sounds to me like it solved a "problem" you were having.

erroneous

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
This topic has been talked about quite a bit here, and in
other forums as well.

Sometimes a manufacturer misses an aspect to their product
that the customer sees at first glance.

While it may seem like a complete engineering mistake,
it's likely actually an engineering for purpose.

The iPhone comes with a headset designed to also work
with the "phone" feature of the device.
This requires an extra conductor to provide audio for the
microphone.
It's likely the engineers did not want to allow just any mini
plug to be inserted into the iPhone to afford protection against
damaging internal circuitry.

Now like an adventurer, I too cut away the barrel of a standard
mini plug so it would fit into the iPhone jack.

It works great, and nothing has damaged the iPhone.

There's a little bit of information regarding the designs
of standard jacks, plugs, etc. at the wikipedia site.

Here's a tad of "cut, and paste" from the site:

Modern TS and TRS connectors are available in three standard sizes. The original 1/4" (6.35 mm) version dates from 1878, for use in manual telephone exchanges—making it possibly the oldest electrical connector standard still in use. The 3.5 mm or miniature and 2.5 mm or subminiature sizes were originally designed as two-conductor connectors for earpieces on transistor radios. The 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm sizes are also referred to as 1/8" and 3/32" respectively in the United States, though those dimensions are only approximations. All three sizes are now readily available in two-conductor (mono) and three-conductor (stereo or tip ring sleeve) versions.
Four and five conductor versions of the 3.5 mm plug are used for certain applications. A four conductor version is becoming a de facto standard output connector for compact camcorders, providing stereo sound plus a video signal. This interface is also seen on some laptop computers.

[Read this portion especially...]

Proprietary interfaces using both four and five conductor versions exist, such as the audio connector on the first four generations of iPod MP3 players (the 5th generation player now uses a standard 3 conductor cable), where the extra conductors were used to supply power for accessories. There is also an optical connector used for TOSLINK (mainly on things like portable equipment; hi-fi separates and similar tend to use the standard square connector) that is the same size as a 3.5 mm jack. Sockets exist that can make either an optical connection to such a plug or an electrical connection to a stereo jack plug.
A three or four conductor version of the 2.5 mm plug is widely used on cell phone handsfree headsets, providing mono (three conductor) or stereo (four conductor) sound and a microphone input. It should be noted that the use of common stereo headphones with the 2.5 mm plug are often not compatible with this type of socket.

[.....................]

Did Apple perhaps screw up when they made the jack recessed?
The answer to that for some customers is "Yes".

For those of us who understand what goes into engineering a product, and for those of us with a little "know how", it's not really a big deal.

Be pissed. Run up and down the street claiming the world
has screwed you.

While you do that though, be aware of how many people are

looking at you, or in this case "reading" you.

How did the old commercial go?
"We are not amused".

Oh ya, "90 degrees in the shade" jammin on my iPhone.

Perfect!

John

kycophpd

Bronze
In order to make the plug like 'all the others' they would have had to make the sides of the iPhone flat, instead of curved like they are now. Then most would have been complaining because it is too 'box' shaped.

Apple is in the businesss for making a profit, just like 99.9% of every other company you buy from. I don't think a $10 adapter that is made by Belkin is the way they thought "man, we could really cut a profit if we recessed this headphone jack"

If their intent by the design was to make a profit, they would have said "earbuds purchased separately", they would not have stuck them in the nice little box the phone came in. My Blackjack I had came with earbuds but no microphone on the cable, DAMN you Samsung!

I paid $30,000 for my Dodge Charger but they keep making me put gas in it, my cupholders did not come with free drinks, my DVD player had no DVD's in it, my windows did not come with tint. When you buy something, you usually don't get everything you 'want', but Apple has been kind enough to design it to give you everything you 'need', including those earbuds.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Also, I think it should be noted that it's not an "issue".
It's only an issue to you. I use the earphones provided by Apple, and am very happy with them....especially for use during calls.
These are going to be perfect for me, as my iPhone's primary use of the iPod feature, is during workouts.
It's not just an issue to us. It's actually an "issue" for a GREAT many people. It's an "issue" to anyone that has to be tortured when they listen to their music. For the rest of us with normal ears (or abnormal depending on your viewpoint) the Apple earbuds are awful. I can't keep them in my ears for longer than half an hour before they start to rub and chafe. The only way I can get them to stay in is to push them in - HARD. And that is quite painful. So you think that I should be in PAIN to use my iPhone?

If they are going to make us use ONE kind of earphone, then they should have made it work with many different kinds of ears.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It's not an "issue". It doesn't cause any "problem". With everything included with every single iPhone sold, every feature of the phone and iPod work JUST FINE.
Wait. You're a genius on the boards and you can say that every feature of the phone work JUST FINE? How can you say that? Have you even surfed with safari? It hasn't crashed on you repeatedly? It's crashed on me at least a hundred times in the 2 weeks I've had the phone. Trust me, not everything works JUST FINE.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
What are YOU 15? They made it the same as OTHER cellphones... so it would be compatible with bluetooth headsets.
This isn't true. The headphone jack has zero to do with bluetooth. And it's not like other cellphones. It's not a 2.5mm jack. It's a standard 3.5mm jack, but recessed. It's actually a THIRD standard. Apple created a new standards. New headphone manufacturers will (I promise you) make special iPhone versions of their headphones.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This isn't true. The headphone jack has zero to do with bluetooth. And it's not like other cellphones. It's not a 2.5mm jack. It's a standard 3.5mm jack, but recessed. It's actually a THIRD standard. Apple created a new standards. New headphone manufacturers will (I promise you) make special iPhone versions of their headphones.
Yup, I apologize, you are correct. Don't know where I got the idea it was 2.5mm. Oh well. Either way it's not a big deal.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
In order to make the plug like 'all the others' they would have had to make the sides of the iPhone flat, instead of curved like they are now. Then most would have been complaining because it is too 'box' shaped.
You can't be serious. "MOST?" Who complains about other boxy cellphones? "Oh I love the functionality of the iPhone, but its boxy shape is so ugly I'm going to argue and argue about it and whine and moan and compain to Apple. Let's get a petition going to make Apple round off these corners." That's just ridiculous.

The most it would have warrented was a short blurb in the reviews about the lack of Apple style.

Form follows function. It's the hallmark of good design. Functionality should NEVER come second to design. Apple made a fundamental 1st year design school student mistake.

kycophpd

Bronze
You can't be serious. "MOST?" Who complains about other boxy cellphones? "Oh I love the functionality of the iPhone, but its boxy shape is so ugly I'm going to argue and argue about it and whine and moan and compain to Apple. Let's get a petition going to make Apple round off these corners." That's just ridiculous.

Form follows function. It's the hallmark of good design.

The most it would have warrented was a short blurb in the reviews about the lack of Apple style.
Your right, then people could not cry about the headphone jack requiring the "included' earbuds and microphone or a newer aftermarket set/adapter. You spend $600 on an iPhone, up to and above $100's on a good set of earphones but "SCREW YOU APPLE", i am not buying your $10 adapter! This is hillarious!

I am going to listen to my 8-track player even though I am pissed because some idiot invited a tape..... what is this I hear about DVD's? Things change. I PROMISE you that other companys will be on the bandwagon and using the same headphone input within a short amount of time. Apple always reinvents the wheel. Expect the expected.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Your right, then people could not cry about the headphone jack requiring the "included' earbuds and microphone or a newer aftermarket set/adapter. You spend $600 on an iPhone, up to and above $100's on a good set of earphones but "SCREW YOU APPLE", i am not buying your $10 adapter! This is hillarious!

I am going to listen to my 8-track player even though I am pissed because some idiot invited a tape..... what is this I hear about DVD's? Things change. I PROMISE you that other companys will be on the bandwagon and using the same headphone input within a short amount of time. Apple always reinvents the wheel. Expect the expected.
With change comes improvement. Tapes were better than 8 track. CDs better than tapes. Sure the iPhone is revolutionary, but the earbuds are not.
And an adapter? Soooo 1990s. :laugh2:

kycophpd

Bronze
Well, I can only speak for myself but this gives me an excuse to go out and buy the newest earbuds/headphones that are compatible with it. I think most of us on these forums are similar in the fact we always want the latest and greatest 'toys'.

I personally am not buying an adapter and I am going to buy one of the nice earbuds with a microphone, only because I get a discount at work. The current ones work great but after reading everyone elses comments about what a difference a really good set of headphones makes, I now have a valid excuse for the fiance. "But honey, my current headphones don't work, I need to get this new set. Look, I'll show you my old one does not fit."

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Wait. You're a genius on the boards and you can say that every feature of the phone work JUST FINE? How can you say that? Have you even surfed with safari? It hasn't crashed on you repeatedly? It's crashed on me at least a hundred times in the 2 weeks I've had the phone. Trust me, not everything works JUST FINE.
People like him refuse to admit that there's anything wrong with the phone. They're so caught up in the hype they refuse to accept the fact that the phone has some issues that need fixed.