Managing 50k pictures on my new Mac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Shanezam203

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
scaled.php?server=580&filename=screenshot20120525at400.png&res=landing

Just got my 1st Mac and I am trying to get used to it, I am a big PC guy but wanted to TRY an iMac.
I got a 2" iMac and it's real NICE it's just a bit of a transition from what I am used to on Windows...

I don't like iPhoto yet, so say I just have a folder on my desktop for My Pics and inside it are 20 sub folders...
I'd like them sorted alphabetically which I have done, but then the sub folders have folders and pics, can I get the Folders in the sub folders to be sorted at the TOP alphabetically 1st and THEN the pics sorted by date?

Above pic is a side by side, the left is my MAC I am trying to setup like the Windows PC on the right. Sort folders Alphabetically, then sub folders in each on TOP, then media sorted by date... can that be done?

rcns

Jul 18, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's probably a utility or a preference pane to do this but you can do it from a command line/terminal.

Remember that OS X is based on Unix. That means that just because there isn't an option in the GUI doesn't mean that you can't change it using terminal.

Sorry if I broke some type of a rule posting a link.

--
Rob
iPhone 4S, iPad 2, MacBook Pro (R) 16gb, 250SSD
Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
scaled.php?server=580&filename=screenshot20120525at400.png&res=landing

Just got my 1st Mac and I am trying to get used to it, I am a big PC guy but wanted to TRY an iMac.
I got a 2" iMac and it's real NICE it's just a bit of a transition from what I am used to on Windows...

I don't like iPhoto yet, so say I just have a folder on my desktop for My Pics and inside it are 20 sub folders...
I'd like them sorted alphabetically which I have done, but then the sub folders have folders and pics, can I get the Folders in the sub folders to be sorted at the TOP alphabetically 1st and THEN the pics sorted by date?

Above pic is a side by side, the left is my MAC I am trying to setup like the Windows PC on the right. Sort folders Alphabetically, then sub folders in each on TOP, then media sorted by date... can that be done?
2" iMac? I think you got the iMac nano by accident ;)