Managing iCloud Storage

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by bkford, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I think I have most of it figured out (probably not), but I have the 50 GB storage plan, and when I go to Manage Storage, I see that 10 MG is taken up with Mail, although I have not checked mail as one of the things I want to store in iCloud (no need for that with gmail). I have gone into my old Outlook mail and deleted everything, because I thought perhaps that 10 was there from a time when I didn't realize I should uncheck Mail for storage. There seems to be no way I can get rid of that mail storage. Is there?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is Gmail the only email account you have on your iPhone?

Did you perhaps have an iCloud (which could me @me.com or @icloud.com) account in the past?

Are you able to log into the icloud.com website from a desktop computer? If so, you would see if you have any old e-mail messages in your iCloud account—and those could be in the inbox, in the sent box, or even unpurged messages in the trash folder. The figure you mentioned (10 MB) definitely sounds like it includes attachments, like photos or videos.

3. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I have never had any email except for gmail, in the last several years, since gmail was created. I will try logging into the icloud.com website from my desktop computer. Could it be including calendars and contacts in the Mail group?

4. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I also have a related question about using iCloud. I have a large folder of photos (50 pictures) I would like to share from my PC to iCloud Shared Photos. Maybe I'm not allowing enough time (my DSL is slow), but it seems to want to let me put the folder in iCloud Drive but not in iCloud Photos, Shared.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The iCloud management screen (on iOS and also on OS X) includes separate toggles for Mail, Calendars, and Contacts. I firmly believe that those 10 megabytes you have used up do not include any content from either Contacts or Calendar:

iCloud.jpg

I'm afraid I'm going to have to let someone else answer your iCloud Shared Photos question, though. I don't know the answer to that. :(

#5 Rafagon, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  6. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Thank you. I should have posted the shared photos question as a separate thread.

7. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I logged in, and there is nothing in my Mail at icloud.com. What is taking those 10 MB?????

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I did a bit of poking around and I found a possible (I hope) fix for you. This one user stated that "Mail is caching (Bug?) the storage space in Mail. So after deleting a few thousands E-Mails, the space is still taken."

He recommends adding a few e-mails into the Archive folder and then deleting them. You can easily achieve this by sending yourself a couple of e-mails (over at icloud.com), and moving them to the Archive folder (just in case you're not too familiar with the Mail screen over at icloud.com, the screenshot below shows where the Move button is located).

Move to Folder.jpg

Here is the original article where the gentleman described his situation and the remedy: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/178189/how-to-delete-icloud-storage-mail-cache

Please keep me apprised of the outcome!

9. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I'll try that!

10. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Okay, I sent myself four emails, then archived them, then deleted them, then emptied the trash. So far, nothing has changed in the 10 MB that iCloud says is being taken up with Mail.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I may have found a way to do this, but I do not use iCloud Photos (Shared or otherwise!), so I can't test it out first in order to assure you that it will work.

Your Internet browser should be any one of the following: Internet Explorer 10 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later.

On the PC which contains the photos you wish to add to your iCloud Shared Photos album, go to this website: https://www.icloud.com/#photos (you'll be prompted for your iCloud credentials if you're not already logged in).

After logging in, you should have a small navigation bar at the top which contains two options: Moments and Albums. Click on Albums. Your iCloud Shared album(s) should appear there.

Now move this browser window out of the way somewhat, but do not close it. Navigate to the folder containing the photos. Select (highlight) all of them. Drag the entire selection into the Shared album on your browser (the window we left open in the step above). That one step should move all 50 or so photos to your iCloud Shared album.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm very sorry to hear this! :eek:

I will poke around the Internet a little more to see if I can offer any other suggestions. :) But hopefully someone reading this thread is familiar with this issue and can jump in and help in the meantime. :)

13. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Thanks!

14. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Your answer makes sense to me. However, before I rec'd your suggestion, I tried something on the fly, and it appears to be working, although with my molasses DSL, it is taking forever for the 57 photos to actually show up in the shared folder. I found that I was making it harder than it is (that's what I do best). What worked is this: on my PC (where the folder of 57 photos resides), I went to iCloud Photos and clicked on New Shared Folder. It allowed me to name the folder and the to add photos just by navigating to the folder where it resides on the PC. I had to name the folder (the new shared folder) and I had to select all the individual photos within the folder. But it seems to be working.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

10 mb is not very much at all. It could be anything. It could just be the mail app itself.

16. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Okay, thank you. I'll stop fretting, then. Thanks all for the help.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If it makes you feel better, here's mine.

[​IMG]

18. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Alrightey-then!! Thanks!