Managing MobileMe folders using iPad Safari, a vicious cycle

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Now that I have yet another device where I will read email, I moved all my email from my MacBook Pro out to the MobileMe servers so I’d have access to it regardless of what device I was using to read it.

I then wanted to go up to the MobileMe website to make a few tweaks to the folders, which is easy to do using Safari on the laptop so I figured it should also work fine using the iPad. Well, no, it isn’t because Safari on the iPad is still considered a mobile version of Safari and MobileMe doesn’t have a mobile device interface. When you go to www.me.com, you get redirected to a Mobile Welcome screen with a link that looks like it would take you to a Setup screen, which it does but it’s the Mac page on www.apple.com.

Ok, fine, there’s a link to log in to my MobileMe account. But nooo, that takes you back to www.me.com, which then redirects you back to the cute iPad welcome screen so you’re stuck in a vicious cycle with no way to actually log in to MobileMe. I’ve reported it to Apple as a bug because I think the version of Safari on the iPad is (or should be) complete enough to allow you to see your MobileMe account online.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...and I'm guessing, even if you scroll to the bottom of the window, there is no link that says, 'desktop version'? A shame that really.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Nope, no "Desktop" link.

What is needed is a setting on the iPad to say "Enable Desktop Safari" to let us decide whether we want a website to consider Safari a mobile version or not.