Managing photos on multiple devices

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by silvermoon, Nov 23, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I really need to find a solution to this issue ASAP. The issue is that I when I get home from work, I like to get on my MBP and upload my photos for my report. This usually involves me going into the Photos app. I have to select the photo, click on Photo Sharing, and send it to the album but when I go back to my laptop, there is no photo. So as an alternative, I try to send the photo as a text to my laptop. Again, the photo does not arrive on my other device. At this point, I'm frustrated because it is taking longer than I expected to submit my photo(s). After I exhausted what I believe to be all options, I open up iPhoto on my laptop to find that after about 5-10 minutes, the photo is sitting there. What is iCloud Drive? Does this give me a way to share my photos through all the devices without me having to manually send them across the iCloud? Should I consider using DropBox? What about adjusting settings on iCloud? I need the most effective solution to keep my photo(s) synced through both my laptop and phone.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

More information on iCloud Drive can be found here. I perform a very similar task to what you do as well, I send photographs for reporting purposes. I take the photographs on my phone (iPhone 6) or my work phone (Sam Galaxy S4), then I upload them to either Google Drive or Dropbox (usually Drive) and once they're in the cloud I delete them from my devices camera roll. Then once in I open up the laptop and within a few seconds Dropbox or Google Drive has sync'd and I attach my photo's as necessary.

iPhoto is an easier option, though. All your photo's will eventually sync automatically to the app on your Apple computers. I may have had a bad experience with iPhoto but I've always found it to be quite leggy, it may have improved in recent OS drops (haven't used it in an age).

The reason I use cloud storage away from Apple is because of the work aspect, I don't want my personal stuff full of boring work pictures :p

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Enable My Photo Stream on the phone and the Mac. The photos will automatically transfer from your photo to your Mac when you're on WiFi. This won't require any action on your part. They'll just show up in iPhoto.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think it's already enabled, @silvermoon said they pop-up. That's the problem I had, waiting was something I didn't want to have to do.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The problem is that there is a delay between the transfer of the iPhone to the MBP. I've waited up to 10 minutes for the photos to show up in iPhoto.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You could use AirDrop when you can't wait.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Can you Airdrop from the iPhone? I could not get that to work.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, as long as you have a newer MBP with Yosemite. What year is your MBP?

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Nothing happens when I swipe up and tap on Airdrop.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What year is your MBP? It has to be a 2012 or later to work with iOS AirDrop. Mac-to-Mac AirDrop works fine on the older Macs.

Open AirDrop on your MBP. Now go to your phone and open the Photos app. Select one or more photos/videos. The AirDrop symbol will change from this:
    image.jpg
    to this:
    image.jpg
    when it detects your Mac. Tap it to send the photos.

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is a Mac to Mac transfer. I want to go from iPhone to Mac. I don't believe this functionality exists. Not in Airdrop

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it does exist. I don't think you read my post with directions closely enough. I just explained how to go from your phone to your Mac. Since you have a 2013 MBP, it will work. Don't swipe up with Control Center and try to do it there. Check my screenshots and last post for directions.