Manually manage music in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by thewolfe, Nov 2, 2014.

1. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

I have Voice Memos that I want to delete from iTunes and my iPhone. I see that if I "Manually manage music" in iTunes it will allow me to delete voice memos.

So I did that and then synced my iPhone and the voice memos that I deleted were off my iTunes and iPhone.

Then I unchecked "Manually manage music" and all deleted memos were synced back to iTunes and iPhone.

What is the downside to leaving "Manually manage music" checked at all times?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not need to manually manage music to delete voice memos. Go into your music library in iTunes and right click on the voice memo you want to delete. Now select delete and confirm that you want to delete it. It will be removed from your phone when you sync.

3. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

If I open up iTunes on my PC and go to Music on my device I see my "Voice Memos". While manually is checked I can delete any or all of them BUT.........after doing that and syncing my iPhone all is well. But then if I uncheck the "
    Manually manage music in iTunes" and sync, the voice memos show up again on my iTunes and iPhone.

My question is if I leave "Manually manage music" in iTunes will that effect anything else and if not why is it there in the first place?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is there for people who want to drag and drop from more than one computer rather than syncing with their iTunes library. In your case, there is no reason to do it. You lose the ability to sync everything at once and you'll have to individually put files on the phone if you keep it that way. You don't need to manually manage music to delete voice memos. Have you tried my directions for deleting them when manually manage is off?

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

Yes, I can highlight one or more when not "manual" but no option is available. Just tried it again, no go.

And since I unchecked "manual...." all voice memos are back on iTunes and on my iPhone.

#5 thewolfe, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think you're in the right place in iTunes. I've been able to delete voice memos on every version of iTunes that I've had and I've never manually managed. Please post a screenshot of the options you have when you right click on a voice memo. It should look like this:
    s.png

7. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

Your last post is what I get when manual is not checked. I'll post a screen shot shortly.

8. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're in the wrong location. Click these:
    image.jpg

And then click this:
    image.jpg

10. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

upload_2014-11-2_18-37-42.png upload_2014-11-2_18-37-42.png When ck'd I can delete but when I uncheck it the voice memos return.

11. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

upload_2014-11-2_19-37-57.png

Still does not allow "Delete"

Attached Files:

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're still in the wrong location. Check the arrows in my screenshot again.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're still in the wrong location.

image.jpg

14. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze

I think I actually got it. I deleted a couple of Voice Memos. I'll finish deleting the memos I don't want then post back and give you the results.

Thanks for sticking with me. I could live with the Voice memos but that kind of thing not being able to figure it out just bugs me.

Europa, thanks again.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've deleted the poll and cleaned up the thread for clarity..

16. thewolfe

thewolfe Member
    Bronze