Manually managing Music - Newbie question

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Sorry if this is a silly question-

but, when you check the option to "Manually manage Music",

how (on a PC, not Mac) do you sync mp3s into the iPhone?
Do you open up the "Apple iPhone" icon in the Windows Explorer and drag music into it (which doesn't work)?

THanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Need a little more info. Is the music already in the library of iTunes or are you trying to get it there?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
there is no music in the iPhone yet (wifes new iPhone which I am trying to add music to)
But I do have some music in the iTunes library ( from my iPhone)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
iTunes will not work windows explorer. When you manually manage your music, it doesn't load the music automatically. You simply click and drag the music to your iPhone in the left hand side of the iTunes window.

You might want to check out some of the tutorials on Apple.com. iTunes can be a little confusing if you're not familiar with it.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
iTunes will not work windows explorer. When you manually manage your music, it doesn't load the music automatically. You simply click and drag the music to your iPhone in the left hand side of the iTunes window.

You might want to check out some of the tutorials on Apple.com. iTunes can be a little confusing if you're not familiar with it.

Thanks that helped... (i'm syncing my iPhone using iTunes, and my wife's manually, since she doesn't want all my songs)

one more question - once I drag the songs into the iPhone icon in iTunes, it shows up in the iPhone...but how do you erase the songs from the iPhone if you wanted to take it off (using the manual method) thx

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
there is no music in the iPhone yet (wifes new iPhone which I am trying to add music to)
But I do have some music in the iTunes library ( from my iPhone)
Sorry, I was out for awhile. That is right you just have to drag the music to the iPhone in iTunes.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
one more question - once I drag the songs into the iPhone icon in iTunes, it shows up in the iPhone...but how do you erase the songs from the iPhone if you wanted to take it off (using the manual method) thx
You just uncheck the songs you don't want and next sync will take them off.
After that be sure to check them back so they will stay on your iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Thanks that helped... (i'm syncing my iPhone using iTunes, and my wife's manually, since she doesn't want all my songs)

You might want to think about two different playlists then; one for you and one for your wife. Then check the correct boxes under your music tab for iTunes to sync your iPhone to your playlist and your wife's iPhone to hers.