Many people complain of the lag from JB'ing - is the lag worth it?

BlueHeeler

Bronze
Nov 29, 2008
Many people complain of the lag from JB'ing - is the lag worth it?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have very little lag. It's there - the phone's not as fast as it is on stock - but it's not a deal breaker for me. Theming and video recording, the reasons for which I jailbreak, easily make up for the lag.

Mes

Jan 29, 2009
The lag (if any real noticeable amount) is dependant upon the number of add-ons. Theming, background task capabilities, call/sms/im reminders, etc all take horsepower, but only when used. Personally, I've added about 80 AppStore apps and it appears to slow down a bit with each additional app loaded --- doesn't matter much whether it's from AppStore or Cydia (jb'k app installer). A fresh/clean/virgin phone will always run faster.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
There is no more lag then there would be with a stock phone that has a few apps from Apples store. I have mine JB again, with some really cool stuff and barely have/notice any lag. Only lag i get is when installing cracked appstore apps.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Mine is jailbroken without Winterboard installed, and there is very little lag. Also, jailbreaking gives me video recording and copy & paste.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I don't think it's quite that bad, but jailbreaking certainly does let you have those apps that are missing from the stock iPhone, i.e. copy & paste and video recording. MxTube and dTunes are also musts for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueHeeler

Bronze
Nov 29, 2008
I read stories of people saying it takes up to 6-8 seconds for camera and sms and other things to open after JB'ing
Also they need to reboot all the time to speed things up and they get a lot of crashes.
Is the flakiness inherent to JB'ing?

If I do JB and don't like it and revert. Will I lose my usage totals and contacts and sms etc etc? (this is a biggie for me)

Appreciate your time.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Back up before you jailbreak, then you can restore from that back up when you/if you go back to stock, you will lose anything done between. Purchased apps will resync but sms you receive while jailbroken will be lost if you go back, you will almsot certainly lose your usage data, but you will lose your lifetime totals from the upgrade in firmare anyway.

FWIW I haven't restarted in several hours (reset to get my signal back after the outage) or resprung and the camera takes approximately 2-2.5 seconds from tap to the "aperture" open, sms takes about the same (in fairness though I only have the sms I've received/sent since I upgraded to 2.2.1 and re-jailbroke), photos opens up to album view in 2 seconds. Mail's always running in the background so it opens immediately.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
I put mine side by side with an un JB stock newer 3G. Mine was the same or FASTER in opening up most if not all apps.

yes it is worth it if you like to tinker

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
It will make scrolling through your apps lag JUST A LITTLE BIT, but it's not that noticeable (only happens if you have themes and mods enabled).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, you're getting lots of opinions here. Suffice to say that the lag is not universal, but varies from unit to unit, for some unknown reason. I don't think anyone here can make a blanket statement about jailbreaking and lag unless they've done it for a LOT of phones. But there is definitely the risk that you will experience unacceptable lag. This will also vary person to person, so it's really impossible to say if it's worth it to you.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
>>>> Suffice to say that the lag is not universal, but varies from unit to unit, for some unknown reason.<<<

Thats what I'm saying.. I think some phones work better than others before anything.
Also when you consider the 'lag' or delay are you trying to close something out and it has not finished doing its thing? is it checking for mail in the background? I think all thing can effect it. I think... but I don't know sh!t